Quick X2 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick X2 question

Would a 1986 X2 come with some sort of overheat sensor/protection?
    Joe Kissell<br />-1995 Tigershark 900<br />-1986 Kawasaki 650 X2

not that i know of....
    X2

Comment

I didn't think so either.

I was at the lake the other day and was riding around. All the sudden, I lost half my power. It was like only one cylinder was firing or something. I got it back to shore and noticed that the main cooling line had fallen off!

So, I was just curious if there was a overheat protection circuit that kicked in that would acocunt for my loss of power.
      I havn't bothered checking compression yet, because I got it on the trailer and later that night started it up again. It started easily and ran just fine!

So, hopefully I didn't do any damage.
      And yes, I replaced the zip-tie over the cooling line with a real hose clamp. And, yes I know I'm an idiot for not doing it sooner.

Comment

it happens to all of us.

Joe, you still want those oil parts? They are still sitting in the back of my maxima.

Joe

Comment

it sounds like you got a seizure from overheating...hopefully you have not had too much damage
          X2

Comment

[ July 29, 2003, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: ebloc ]
            X2

Comment

Well I have tore my 89 650sx completly apart and put it back together. This ski has the same engine as yours and I saw no sign of anything to monitor the temp of the engine or exhaust not to mention lack of any lights or anything to warn you on top of the age of the machine so I am going to have to say the seizeure (sp?) sounds much more likely. Mine had the same syptoms as yours did except it was getting hot from running extremely lean with a bad seal instead of the water line.

Comment

It didn't seize at all. It just lost power and then I couldn't get it restart on the water, but it was still hot at the time.

After I got it on the trailer and drove it 30 minutes back to my house. Then, I tried to start it again and it started easily. I'm guessing something got too hot, but since it cooled down, it seems fine now.

Just the way it lost power felt a LOT like an overheat sensor kickin in. So, I was just curious because I also didn't think these had a sensor for that.

Anyways, I'm taking it back to the lake tonight to find out for sure.

Comment

Yeah it didn't lock up completely it just got so hot the piston expanded and started rubbing the sides of the cylinder causeing that much friction. It just takes away that much power. If you pull the cylinder off you should see some scaring on the sides of the piston. I believe that is the correct explination.

Comment

I took it out last night and it ran fine. Luckily!

It's fine for me this summer, but maybe next summer I'll get around to a new top end kit and some minor performance mods like bigger carb and milled head.

Comment

Working...
                    X