Overheating... Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating... Suggestions?

I had my X2 out at the lake today and was running fine for about 30 minutes. I noticed some steem and a bad smell, so I got it to shore and judging by the burn mark on my hand, I verified that the motor was overheating.

I did a quick inspection and it appears as though all the cooling lines are still connected. I can still see water come out of the line in the hull located just above the exhaust while it's running. What else would be good to check?

As far as oil goes. I pre-mixed 400 ml of oil in with 6 gallons of gas. After I did the math again for a 50:1 ratio. I realized I should have put in 454 ml. Do you think that little bit would make that big of a difference?
    Joe Kissell<br />-1995 Tigershark 900<br />-1986 Kawasaki 650 X2

Imho, you should take the head off and perform a visual inspection of the cylinders, pistons, etc and also see if you have lots of deposits on the water passages.

I have a brand new copper headgasket for a 650 i will give you if you want it so you wont be out anything. It shouldnt be overheating
    Is it possible you have sucked up a stick in the water intake on the pump or something? Have you had the pump off and partially clogged the pickup with RTV or something?

btw, I was out at clinton around 6:30 tonight trying out my ride and it ran great.

Comment

Good to hear your ski is doing well. We left there right around 4:00 p.m. You know the cove over to the left of the PWC ramp? I'm talking about a little passageway that goes into a second smaller cove. I took my X2 in there and decided it was too shallow, so I came right back out. However, there is a good chance I could have sucked up some mud or rocks while I was in there.

I havn't had any of the lines off, but I think that'll be the first thing to check. Maybe they just got clogged with something. Also, I'm still wondering if the slightly less oil would have made all the difference?

Comment

i never go back there anymore.. rubbed a stump once and besides, the water is like a foot or so deep, especially in this dry condition.

I imagine you sucked up some crud.. who knows.. if it were mine, I'd pull the head and inspect the pistons and cylinder walls.

Comment

Before I pull the head, can you tell me what I'd gain by checking that stuff? How would extra damage in these areas make cause overheating?
          I took compressed air to all my cooling lines yesterday and I could hear air coming out where I thought it should have been coming out. I took it back to the lake and still overheating! I guess there could still be a partial blockage or something.

What else would suddenly cause the X2 to overheat? The adjusters are set just a touch richer than the factory settings. It takes a good 3-5 minute ride to get the motor burning hot to the touch.

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

You may have debris in your head and cooling lines - the motor may already be damaged, you need to look and do a compression check. Clear out all your cooling lines.
              SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
              We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
              Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
              X