900 stx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 900 stx

i recently purchased a 98 stx with no compression in rear cylinder upon removing the cylinders i found the rear piston had a hole in the side below the crown on exhaust port side after removing the motor i noticed the oil line for rear carb was off were it connects to oil pump.

i was wondering if lack of oil could cause a piston to detonate?

No it won't.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

what should i be checking short of splitting the cases?

Comment

anyone?

Comment

Hello Beechfront, short of splitting the cases you could check the carbs to see if there is a problem. However if you have a piston with a hole, then a top-end rebuild is in order. Also the possibility of crank bearing contamination is VERY high. You could chance it just putting a top-end on the boat but you will be kicking yourself if the crank lets go later on. IMO go with the SBT rebuild and rebuild you carbs. Then use a high quality fuel - not that mom and pop fillerup joint or marina fuel. I know of two engines that belonged to friends of mine that died that way.

Hope this helps
          James [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]
          If Harley Davidson built an airplane - would you fly on it?

Comment

thanks James, i ended up splitting the cases and inspecting the crank, i was going to chance it but i will inspect everything ,

im surprised no one else chimed in?

i thought that is what this site is for tech support? guess all the techs are more interested in the general discussion section of this site?

Comment

Lang already gave you good advice, I just dodn't have anything else to offer, chill.
              SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
              We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
              Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
              X