1100 STX Fuel Gauge Readings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1100 STX Fuel Gauge Readings

Hello all, I'm Jim, a newbie to this forum. I have a new-to-me, 1998, 1100 STX. It's my first ski and I've already learned a lot but still have a long way to go. One thing I've noticed is that the fuel guage in my ski seems to be way off. Last week, during my initial ride, the low-fuel warning light began to flash. Since I had no idea how much fuel was actually aboard, I followed the instruction I had read in the owner's manual and switched to reserve tank and headed home. When I shut down, the guage registered one-bar (out of a possible eight-bars). At the gas station I was only able to put in about eight gallons in a 14 gallon tank. Yesterday the guage read two-bars and it would only take about six gallons. Is there a way to adjust the guage or to test it. I'm curious to know if there is any problem with letting it actually run out of gas to see how the guage registers as it really runs empty (I can take some spare gas in a separate container to get me home). Is running out of gas a problem?

Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. Also any suggestions concerning maintenance/problems/solutions that experience has given you would be very much appreciated by this "beginner."

jim
    '98 Yamaha GP1200<br />'98 Kawasaki 1100 STX

There are no inhearnat problems with that particular ski - pretty bullet proof.

Running out of fuel on a 2-stroke pwc is actually very bad - as the tank is running dry, the carbs run lean and you can very easily blow the motor. Never run below a couple gallons if you can help it.

Your fuel baffle assembly that contains the float may need tobe cleaned or replaced - you would need to remove it from the tank for inspection and Ohm testing...I'm not sure what that requires, possibly engine or front hood removal first. Someone else will know...
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
    X