This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charging system on 900 zxi

hi , sometimes it is hard to start, other times it will start right up. when it doesnt want to start, i get a very weak spark.i measured the battery voltage as follows...12v engine off, 12.5-12.6 with engine running, however the manual says i should be getting about 14.5v. so i checked the ac voltage across the 2 brown stator coil wires [no wires disconected] and only got 16v ac instead of the 50 v specified in the manual. i know my battery needs a bit of recharging but shouldnt the charging system dish out more voltage when the battery is low? the manual also suggests that the permanent magnets on the flywheel may be weak and needs to be replaced. in my experience i've never seen this happen unless it were physically damaged. comments/advice? anyone? bty all electrical contacts are clean.

I would check and make sure that there are no broken wires on the stator coils. The voltage should be fairly constant.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

sorry i forgot to mention that i checked resistance of coil and got 1.1 ohms as per specification. so this would seem o.k. i am reluctant to pull out the engine just yet until i'm certain as to what the problem might be.

Comment

if you have checked the ohm's and they are good according to spec then I would look at the mpem next

[ September 24, 2003, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Technical Support ]

Comment

the mpem? dude its not a sea doo. i take it you mean the igniter module or the rectifer unit. which one ? what about the flywheel? in dont think the charging system is built in with the ignitor circuit. at least not directly.

Comment

I meant basically all the electrical that controls the spark and charging system. If you do not have a service manual I would first get one to make this easier. If you resistance is correct like you say then I would think it is not your stator. To save pulling the engine check all electrical connections and the values as stated in the manual for the entire electrical system.

Comment

Re: charging system on 900 zxi

Bunny How Ya Doing ?

I To Have Ran Into Electrical Probs, And Have Had My Ski Completely Apart.
              I Do Own A Manual ,i Am Finding It Quite Usful The Older My Ski Gets.
              There A Number Of Things That Could Be Causeing Your Starting Prob, But Here Is What Fixed Mine.
              I Had Intermitten Spark ,and Also Mine Would Only Start Part Of The Time.
              In The Electric Box Find Your Igniter (black Box In Back About
              4'x5" X 1" Thick.
              Disconnect The 6 Pin Plug .(i Aslo Diss. The Groung Also)
              With Meter Set At X100 ,touch One Leed To The Green Wire And The Other To The Blue.
              Should Read 396-594ohms
              If Not You Need To Replace It.
              I Also Performed A Primary Coil And 2nd Dairy Testt See If Coil Was Bad.
              Primary :0.018-0224ohms
              Second Dairy : 2.7-3.7 Ohms
              If You Need Help On Where Leeds Go Let Me Know Or If You Have Done This

Comment

Re: charging system on 97/98 - 900 zxi

I don;t have a meter that sets to the 100x for Ohms so I just used standard Ohms and it read 8.24. Can you make any sense out of this reading?

I have no spark on any of the plugs. All connections look great. I have guys saying its the stator and hes 100% sure, I and other think it may be the CDI since the stator charges the battery, the motor cranks just fine but do spark is there.

How do I test the coils or should I go straight for a test on the CDI? Can I test the stator? I have no manual.

Thanks,
                Greg

Comment

Re: charging system on 900 zxi

The SBT Forums are for SBT Product Support ONLY. For all general PWC support/discussion, please post on www.pwctoday.com.

Thank you - SBT Mgt.

Comment

Working...
                  X