'97 900 STX Starting Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '97 900 STX Starting Problems

I just picked up this ski 3 months ago and really like it (other than fuel consumption). The only negative is that is is very hard to start (sometimes even restart when hot). I am choking at start with some gas and can eventually get the ski to start. I did disassemble the carbs to check them and found no problems internal. What can I do short of adding primers to improve the ability of the ski to start up easily every time?

BTW - If anyone has the stock position of the LSS's on this PWC, I would appreciate your posting them as well.

Dean,

From what I've seen, LSS positions are very difficult to find. They are not listed in the manual, and I've not been able to find a carb manual for Keihin on the net like I did for Mikuni carbs, that list all the stock settings. You might need to speak with one of the few Kawasaki dealers that actually know enough about skis to give you this information.

Secondly, I would buy a primer kit and make it your weekend project. You can buy them on E-Bay for under $30, and it probably would take about 2 hours from start to finish.

Finally, I have noticed that my Kawasaki definitely sucks MORE fuel than my Sea-Doo, even though it's a smaller engine and a 2-seater vs. a 3-seater. Almost double the fuel consumption. Guess that's just the way Kawasaki's run?!?!?!?

- Craig
    - Craig<br /><br />'04 Baja 342<br />'04 GTX SC<br />'98 GTXL<br />'95 750 ZXI

Comment

They are listed. Lows 1 1/4, highs 3/4. You are probably about 1/4 turn too lean on your lows with those symtoms.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

TS,

I am currently running at ~1.5 turns out on the LSS's and I am pretty confident that I am lean, because it is bogging from time to time. It can also be difficult to start when hot as well. The as found screw setting was 3-1/8 turns out.

Comment

Working...
        X