X2 Spitting Massive Oil???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X2 Spitting Massive Oil???

My 1989 Kawasaki X2 (650) starts fine, but within seconds, I immediately start receiving an unbelieveable amount of white smoke out the exhaust. At the same time, a large quanity of black oil also starts to spit out the exhaust... coating everything around it (including me). I then turn the engine off and oil will actually run out the exhaust and down the side of the craft. Considering the fact that the machine was running great when I put it away last year and this excess oil started occurring after sitting in storage, is there something that could have frozen up or become plugged from simply sitting? I usually read where owners are having problems with not enough oil (i.e. defective oil pump), but in my case, it's as if I am getting too much oil through the system. I am considering disconnecting my oil pump and running premix, but I don't really want to do that if that doesn't solve my problem. Today, I removed the exhaust pipe on the port side and quite a bit of black oil was sitting in the pipe. Any ideas short of a complete rebuild would be welcome.

Did you use fogging oil when you put your ski away ? It my only be the fogging oil you see comming out your exhaust .When the fogging oil burns, It lets out white smoke .

Try turning the motor over without the plugs installed in the engine and see if oil spits out the spark plug holes .Make sure that you ground the spark plugs down to the engine with the wires attached to each plug . if oil comes out keep doing it untill it stops also don't spin the starter to long short burst and let the starter cool .

hope this helps

kurt

Comment

on a 14 year old ski I would block off the oil pump and premix. Or replace the oil pump and all lines from the oil tank to the engine and intake. It could be possible that the check valve is not working an allowing oil to feed from the tank into the engine when it is not running. This would take some time but can happen. The only place for it to get oil would be if you fogged it a lot or from the oil tank threw the oil pump.
      Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Thanks Dank and Ymepig....

At this point, my new plan is to block off the oil pump and go with premix. As far as my progress, I did "not" use any fogging oil when I put the ski away, so I really don't sustpect that this could be the culprit. However, I like the idea of oil somehow seeping from the tank. I know Dank mentioned that possibly a check valve was faulty, but I'm not familiar with such a check valve (other than the high vent). Is there one in the supply line or the pump that you may be referring to?

For now, I am still getting lots of smoke and oil (even with the tank removed), but it appears to be slightly less. I feel that I may need to give it some more running time for the oil to simply burn out. I removed the plugs and turned the engine over. No oil came out the spark plug holes, but the plugs looked beautiful (no fouling).

At any rate, if there are any more fresh ideas as to what is happening, I would surely appreciate any input. I'm still baffled!!!

Comment

Make sure you premix when you have the tank removed or you may burn it up when it runs out of oil. Also the smoke you see may be unburnt fuel. Look down the carb when running to make sure it is not dripping gas into the engine.

They normaly put the check valve in the oil pump or on the intake manifold where the oil line attaches.
          Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Re: X2 Spitting Massive Oil???

How long did you run it! I would take it out and run that baby for a while (In the water or hooked to a water line)
            If you pull any X2 pipe off you will see black oil looking crud. Which is water mixed with oil that has been burnt. If you never fired up the X2 on your trailer after running it in the water then all the water in the pipe will just sit there (And get black) until you start it and blow it out.
            If after a good warm up (Ride it for a few minutes.) It still smokes exessively then I would check the compression and maybe then look at either fixing or removing your oil injection pump.
            This "Black oil" is common with all jet skis.

Removing the pump and going to pre-mix is a good idea no matter what. even if it working fine.

Originally posted by Poseidon
            My 1989 Kawasaki X2 (650) starts fine, but within seconds, I immediately start receiving an unbelieveable amount of white smoke out the exhaust. At the same time, a large quanity of black oil also starts to spit out the exhaust... coating everything around it (including me). I then turn the engine off and oil will actually run out the exhaust and down the side of the craft. Considering the fact that the machine was running great when I put it away last year and this excess oil started occurring after sitting in storage, is there something that could have frozen up or become plugged from simply sitting? I usually read where owners are having problems with not enough oil (i.e. defective oil pump), but in my case, it's as if I am getting too much oil through the system. I am considering disconnecting my oil pump and running premix, but I don't really want to do that if that doesn't solve my problem. Today, I removed the exhaust pipe on the port side and quite a bit of black oil was sitting in the pipe. Any ideas short of a complete rebuild would be welcome.

Comment

Working...
            X