SMC repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMC repair

What is the proper resin to use when repairing the hull on a 94 kawasaki. My understanding is that sheet molded compound repairs require a specific resin for proper adhesion. I need to strentghen/repair two cracks in the hull support that runs port to starboard between the engine and fuel tank. Thanks for any info.

It's an epoxy resin, found along side normal gelcoat repair solutions.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I went up to the local glass shop and they confirmed epoxy. Told me to get West epoxy resin and use the fast hardner. Rough it up with 36 grit and use mat to eliminate air pockets. Thanks again for the ehlp.

Comment

To fix that brace you will need to move the tank forward and the foam
        Working on the front side of it clean and sand the area very well. then the best way to fix it is to make a cardboard stencil of the shape you will need , make sure it is big enough cover the brace all the way accross then get it cut out of 5mm or 3/16 alluminium or stainless
        pre drill holes either side of each cracks and then transfer those holes into the new brace, once you know it fits well and screw holes match mix up some epoxy with some talc mixed in it to give it a tooth paste consistancy, coat both the new brace and the old brace with the epoxy and fit the new to the old fitting the crews and tighten them wait a day and the jobs done
        ceap it clean as you do the work and you wont see it
        be good,
        if you cant be good,
        be carefull
        if you can't be carefull,
        buy a pram

Comment

Not a bad idea. I take it you have repaired one of these before. Will the epoxy adhere well to the aluminum brace? How far past each crack do you recommend extending the brace? Do you only use 4 bolts to attch the brace?

Comment

Some i have fixed have only been cracked on one side but i usually put screws through the brace into the ally two each side of crack but that epoxy sticks to just about everything and when it sticks the screws do nothing
            also you can get epoxy adhesive wich is a lot thicker and does not need the talcum powder
            Yes I have repaired 3 with 5 more waiting to get done as I use these ski for my rental business
            be good,
            if you cant be good,
            be carefull
            buy a pram

Comment

Some i have fixed have only been cracked on one side but i usually put screws through the brace into the ally two each side of crack but that epoxy sticks to just about everything and when it sticks the screws do nothing
              also you can get epoxy adhesive wich is a lot thicker and does not need the talcum powder
              Yes I have repaired 3 with 5 more waiting to get done as I use these ski for my rental business
              be good,
              if you cant be good,
              be carefull
              buy a pram

Comment

Working...
              X