stuck cylinder 650 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuck cylinder 650 engine

I'm having a bit of a problem getting the cylinder off of a spare 650 motor Im attempting to build.

I've soaked the studs with WD40 and PB Blaster. I've made a puller from half inch plate steel that bolts to the top of the cylinder and has grade 12 bolts that screw down at the spark plug locations. I also made some round steel plugs to set on the top of the pistons to keep the bolts from punching through the pistons.

This puller pushes against the pistons to get the cylinder off the cases. I wish I hadn't had to try this way since the top end of this motor wasn't worn. I know a puller like this will most likely destroy the pistons and crank bearings. But I've already got a factory new kawasaki crank and will buy pistons once its time for them.

Well.. all that about my puller and the cylinder still refuses to budge. Any suggestions???

Currently I have the long block soaking in a drum of diesel fuel in hopes that it will eat away the corrosion on the studs. I'm hoping to pull the engine out of the diesel to find that it has loosened. I have it soaking with the puller in place with the cylinder under tension.

I KNOW that the SBT team has to have dealt with similar problems on many occasions.

Thanks

About your only option at this point is a heavy hammer and mallet. Sometimes we just have to beat the pistons down, and use a rubber mallet on the cylinders. We never soak anything.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

ok, so the puller I made is a mechanical way of doing about what you are suggesting with the hammer and mallet.

So soaking doesn't do any good? Or you just dont have the time for soaking with your high production numbers.

Comment

Working...
      X