crank warrenty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crank warrenty

Just was wondering why sbt doesn't have a 1 year warrenty on there cranks?

x2 - you got a valid question there, and I would think that Tech Support will be on here soon and give you a valid answer - just everyone stay cool about the situation and then things can be talked over in a civil manner and no posts get deleted and no one gets banned. I think if you stick around on the site (hey even if you never buy anything from SBT again) you'll find most folks here are good and very willing to talk over problems and other PWC matters.

My guess would be they don't warranty the cranks like they do the whole motors because they don't actually put the cranks they sell individually in the motors in a controlled environment (in the factory) like they build their motors.

I didn't get to respond earlier before the other thread got locked. I, like the others, feel for you and your buddy that the warranty ran out on the crank before he got a chance to use it, but he should have been aware of the possibility that he might not get to use the motor before the time period ran out, and bought accordingly.

Hope you guys stay around even after this matter has blown over. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Showmepro1200

Comment

Showme is correct. We don't warranty part sales beyond the standard 90 days due tothe lack of control we have over the assembly of the engine as a unit. There are MANY mistakes that can be made during assembly to blow an engine.

It's the same reason new car parts come with a 12,000/12 month warranty instead of the new car 36,000/36 month warranty.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks I don't know the other guy with the crank problem. I'm just going by what a few local dealers have told me. Thanks again

Comment

Tech - It's me again. Here's the deal: This rod failure was not in my boat. I am...excuse me - WAS - an SBT dealer. I supplied the part to a customer who did his own rebuild. They have been building engines for years and I have 100% confidence in their abilities. So much so that I would have no problems letting him work on my stuff. I am fighting this battle for the owners of the boat because the part failed prematurely due to no fault of the customer. 4 HOURS! I am not looking to get something for nothing. This customer paid good money - he should get a good quality part. Personally, I do not consider cracked welds and rods that break at 4 hours to be representative of quality parts. As I said earlier, I cannot argue the fact that there are thousands of SBT engines in the world that are perfectly fine. But it is inevitable that a few defective parts will make it off of the loading dock and into the customer's boat. When this happens, the manufacturer should step up and do the right thing: take care of the customer!

Example:
          The Sea-Doo RXX was offered in 2001 AS-IS, NO WARRANTY. Almost immediately after its release, a few prop shaft failures started to occur. Sea-Doo and the shaft manufacturer could've taken the SBT approach and said, “Sorry, it's out of warranty." But they didn't. They recognized the possibility that something wasn't quite right with the shaft because prop shafts don't break within the first 10 hours, so they did the right thing and replaced them. Another example: Not long after, a few of the hulls started to delaminate. Once again, even though it was "out of warranty", they stepped up and did the right thing. They performed complete hull swaps for all of the defective hulls!

Sea-Doo could have very easily used the "out warranty/no warranty" excuse but they didn't. I guess I expected SBT to have enough pride in their product to respond likewise, but as YOU said, I expected wrong. So here we are. Oh well...

OK – fire away.
          Duane Harding

Comment

I agree

Comment

But guys, look at it this way: when you bought a new car the warranty is, say, for 36,000 miles......."OR"... 3 years, whichever comes first. So, here comes the "3 years" mark in a couple of months and you only got 15,000 miles on the vehicle...what do you do? You start looking a bit closer at the vehicle and take note of anything that is broken and covered under the warranty so you can take it to the Dealer and get it fixed. SBT can't have an odometer or a hour meter attached to the crank to tell them how long the part was in service, so they have to go by the amount of time that has elapsed since they sold it, its the "only" way they can be sure the person is not scamming them. (Wombat that is in NO WAY implying you are doing this) The manufacturer can't let a warranty go on forever or that's all they'd be doing, replacing parts they manufactured years back. And also they'd be broke soon.

The SeaDoo example is an example of a manufacturer finding a and fixing a recurring defect in something they sold. I salute them for fixing it on their dime. But they did it to avoid maybe thousands of people getting a class-action lawsuit going and hitting them for maybe millions of dollars of claims (most of which the lawyers would get but we won't go there today ha ha).

I would think that SBT would also step up to the plate for the masses if they had found a defect in one of their processes or an entire run of cranks (both those sold individually and also put into their motors) that were failing all in a row. But they apparently redo thousands of these cranks and there of course are a small level of failures yes, but they are found within the warranty period and replaced. If SBT's crank rebuilding process was entirely faulted, the word would spread fast, and no one would buy the cranks any more and they would be out of business, at least as far as cranks go.

What you have here is a double whammy - the crank was defective, but the owner didn't use the boat enough to detect the crank problem within the warranty period.

I hope you haven't taken this as "firing away" at you. I didn't intend it as so. I feel for ya, cause of course its not only the crank that you're looking for now, but also a case as I could tell from the pics you posted. I've never been in this situation before, but I have had a blown motor and I know it hurts.

Comment

Wombat you are citing an example of a ski with some huge defects, effeting every single unit produced (they also had hull cracking problems and lot of other less major issues).

We have no such issues with our Kawasaki 1200 cranks, nor have we ever heard of one of our products cracking all the welds like that. I honestly don't know what went wrong, I can't guess without being the mechanic on that job - but we have never heard of that happening, and we certainly have no reason to react as Sea-Doo did, and give away product. If we had 500 Kawasaki 1200 cranks come back with broken welds, yes we would certainly be doing whatever it took to correct the problem, but that just isn't the case.

Right now it stands as a normal warranty situation, and that sale does not come close to being in the warranty period.

Comment

We have just announced that all cranks, retroactive one year from today, as now covered under our industry leading, fault-free 1-year warranty.

All interested parties may call Julie for assistance.

877 330 0231

http://www.sbtontheweb.com/ubb/ultim...40.html#000000

Comment

WOW!! Once again, SBT comes thru. This explains that FIVE STAR rating. I was just in the Local ski shop trying to get some Platinum parts, (must be judging by the price), and there was a stack of SBT boxes. I didnt' see any other rebuilders boxes. Large dealers staking their reputation on SBT products makes a pretty good statement.

Comment

Thank you SBT at least I have a spare crank now.

Comment

Working...
                      X