1999 ultra 150 rattles at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 ultra 150 rattles at idle

It sounds just like when the impeller went out (which is why I replaced the pump, immediately after which I noticed this again), but it could just be my head. She sounds great when I give her throttle, but at idle, out of the water, there's a loud metallic rattle every now and then. I know it's not the nozzle. Any ideas? I'm not inclined to put her in the water until I track this down.

Re: 1999 ultra 150 rattles at idle

Normal. This Noise Is Created From The Driveshaft Splines Inside The Impeller Rattling Without A Load On Them. Most Skis Have This Rattle Especially Seadoo.
    WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

maybe the idle needs to be set higher.

Comment

That Will Sometimes Decrease The Rattle A Little. The Idle Should Be Around 3000 Rpm Out Of The Water And Approx 1500 In The Water. By The Way What Was The Origional Reason For Replacing The Pump?
        WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

I had a couple of knowledgable people look at it in person, then ran it on the lake. They agree, she works fine, it was all in my head.

The original reason for replacing the pump was that the big bearing went out, and the impeller ground itself down on the pump housing. Probably lost several mm off the edges. I had let a friend use it (see, I want to date his sister, so my judgement is a tad skewed, and we were chatting at the ramp while he was riding, so I didn't exactly notice time dragging on . . .) any way, the bearing died horribly, and he just kept going. He said it sounded funny, but it seemed to go okay, so he figured he'd just stay out another hour and a half. Sigh.

Comment

Cool. Sounds Like Your Problem Is Solved. Ride On.

Comment

So how did it go with the sister?
              Mr. Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bill
                So how did it go with the sister?
                Oh that's interesting. I half asked her out (called her monday evening to see if she was busy, I was on her side of town). No answer so I left a voice mail. Sunday night I see her, she ignores me all night, then right as we're walking out she mumbled something about her phone was broken so sorry she didn't call me back. Then she left for europe. She's back now, and sunday night she seemed to want to talk about her trip, see if I was going to the beach saturday, etc. I pretty much ignored her.

Comment

Working...
                X