Slugish ZXI 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slugish ZXI 1100

I bought a 96 Kawasaki ZXI 1100 that had the motor rebuilt. The owner never paid for it so the shop pulled it out. It sat for a year or two and then I bought it and put it back together again. I did all the break in procedure but it does not run right. It starts up fine and idles fine but it has a hesitation when you accelerate and wont go over 35- 40 mph. It doesnt seem to rev any higher than 4000 rpm. Any help on where to start loooking or what to check would be greatly appreciated. Also if a carb rebuild is in order what is "pop off" pressure and how do you measure and set it? Thanks .

Re: Slugish ZXI 1100

If It Has Been Sitting Then Start With The Carbs For Sure. Sounds Like In Your Description It Is Most Likely Fuel Related. Overhaul All 3 Carbs And Install New Needle And Seats. Change The External Fuel Filter And Be Sure The Rest Of Fuel System Is Clear.the Pop Off Psi Is The Psi At Which The Diaphram Pops Off The Needle From The Seat Causing A Full Fuel Flow Through Your Main Circuit. You Measure Using A Pop Off Gauge. If Your Motor Is Stock Then Go Back With The Stock Springs That Are In Your Carbs Now. The Stiffness Of These Springs Are What Control The Point Of Pop Off Psi Needed To Open The Circuit.
    WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

Thanks for the help.I'll order the parts. If i get a rebuild kit will it come with new needles and seats or do I have to order these additinally. Also if i use stock springs do I need to check pop off pressure or just assume it is right? How much is a gage to check pop off pressure and can I get one from a dealer or where? Thanks again.

Comment

N&S are always extra. If you replace them, reuse your stock springs and you won't need to test pressure.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I thought the CDK-2 kits came with neddles in the kits?
          Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

They do but we're talking about Mikuni SBNs here.

Comment

A stock ZXi with Mikuni SBNs? Really?

Comment

Brain fart <smaks self> - you're right! CDK2's!! DUH!

Comment

Ok, I rebuilt the carb and set the pop off pressure @ 28 on all 3 carbs. ( I couldnt find a spec anywhere. or a local dealer who knew what pop off was!) Now I have a 5 second hesitation if I give it wide open throttle from an idle. It will only go 35- 40 mph and occasionally stalls when going back to idle from full throttle or when giving it full throttle. What could I have screwed up while doing the rebuild or what else should I check? HELP PLEASE! Thanks.

Comment

I believe that is too high - I should have a spec in the office. Off the top of my head I think it's more like 15-20.

It is also possible you rebuilt the carbs incorrectly.

Comment

What are the common mistakes idiots like me make when rebuilding the carbs? I had a Kawasaki manual (not that it helped much) and a print off of you guide. If the pop off was too high how would it react? I tried to use the stock springs but had carb #1 22 #2 26 #3 28 when i measured the pop off. Also there were a couple off pieces I didnt use, 1 rubber gasket and a very small gasket and clear plastic flap. I assumed these go on a different model or year carb. Do you think you could look up the pressure for me tomorrow at work (weather permitting)? Thanks.

Comment

Does anyone know where I could find what pop off pressure should be? None of the shops around here have ever heard of it. What elses should I be checking?

Comment

Anybody? One last thing. I think I might have gotten the number 1 and 3 carbs mixed up when reassembling them. Would that make a difference? If so how can I tell which is which? It's killing me watching these last warm days go by with my ski not running.
                          Last edited by Mac; 09-16-2004, 11:29 PM.

Comment

I Have Seen The Keihens Set In The Mid 20-25 Range And Not Respond Well. They Should Be Set A Little Lower Arouns 18-20. Try This. As Far As Mixing The Carbs It Depends. I Was Thinking That They Will Only Go One Way Back Because Of The Linkage Setup On Them. And Be Sure The Needle Settings Are Set To Oe Specs. A Rich Low End Or Lean High End Will Cause The Hesitation You Are Describing. Do You Have A Way To Post Some Pics If The Carbs So They Can Be Identified.
                            WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

I think your right about the linkage. They will only go one way. I set the high and low speed screws to factory spec low-1 1/2 and High 1 1/4. I will try to lower the pop off to 18-20. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X