X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 Kawasaki 1100zxi running HOT

Hi Everyone
    I have a 1996 Kawasaki 1100ZXI that is stock

The problem I have is the front cylinder is running very hot compared to the other two.

After 30 seconds of running from a cold start with no water running through the cooling system at idle there is 20 degrees Celsius difference in temperature between the front cylinder and middle cylinder and only 2-3 degrees Celsius between the middle and back cylinder which sounds about normal.

When the engine use to run normally I was able to put my hand on all the cylinders when flushing the ski after being out on it all day. You can still do that with cylinders 2 (middle) and 3 (back) but not with number 1 (Front). It gets that hot that it will bubble water if splashed on top of the cylinder.

The engine still seems to run fine the plugs look good and I have had the head and exhaust manifold off to make sure that there is no blockage in the cooling system and all cooling lines have been checked to make sure there are no blockages or leaks.

Compression is fine on all cylinders and there are no marks on any of the barrels that would suggest that there would be a problem with rings or a piston moving around.

I have spoken to lots of local workshops and no one can work out what is wrong with it.

Some help on this would be great as I’m dying to get back out on it and put it to good use.

Cheers
    Rob

Re: 96 Kawasaki 1100zxi running HOT

1100 front cylinders normally run hotter from the heat of the stator and the flow of the cooling system. Sizzling water after a few seconds is normal.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Isn't there some sort of cooling mod that can be done to the 1100? Something about adding cooling lines to the head and another pisser.

Comment

look on Aqua Sports web site:http://www.aquasports.net/900_1100.htm
        Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

From the AquaSports website posted earlier:

We do add a water bypass to additionally cool the front cylinder. Our test boats, prepared in this way, logged several hundred "full throttle" miles in endurance racing events with no temperature problems.
          Can anyone shed light on this mod for the DIY'er ?

Comment

Working...
          X