Have some ??? about 650SX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have some ??? about 650SX

Have a 87 650SX I got it from a guy they’re said that some stuff have been done to it.

How can I tell if it have a "total loss ignition"??

It has a MSD box "Pro-Grammable Pro Series II" and there are only 2 wires from the front cover of the motor.

How do I take the pole of??

It have some wear in the right mount, there is a "Beef-It" bracket on.

Why put "shims" between hull and the front of the pump??

There is 2 pieces of stainless in silicon on the hull where the front of the pump come in.

I will have some more ????? later.
    Thanks for any help.

Re: Have some ??? about 650SX

You have an MSD total loss ignition system.

To remove the pole, remove the pivot bolt and nut at the base of the pole.

The pole bushings are replacable.

The shim is to plant the nose of the ski in the water and reduce porposing. Possibly the previous rider was a big guy and needed the shims.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

I'm not plan to do any racing it will only be for fun.

I'm about 200 and 6,5, do you think I need the shims??

Is that bad or good to have a total loss ignition??

I will be back with some picture of the pole, I do have a problem.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by joyenter; 12-30-2004, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Total loss is great if you want a racing engine. The battery will die in about 45 minutes with total loss and you will need to recharge it to keep riding.

6'5" and 200 lbs ? Very big for a standup rider... I'd say leave the shims in there.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Yep, 6'5" and 200 lbs. That's big for a stand-up rider?

Any help on how to get the pole of??
          It look like the front top cover is molde on around the mount of the pole. No room for remove the pivot bolt and nut.

Comment

200#'s and 6'-5" is kinda big for a standup rider but its been done and still does. im 180#'s and 6' flat so im not too far behind. for bigger riders, the 750cc engine/ski was the choice for most. you can put one in there later if you find the 650cc to be underpowered.

leave the shims (i guess, but never seen em on a standup before) in to save some un-needed work. there is a way to replace the bushing but i have to remember how to do it on the 650 ski. the 440/550 was real easy cuz the bolt and nut were exposed. i'd ditch/sell the total loss on ebay or somthing and get a stock set up back for sure or at least a lightened charging flywheel.
            cameron "da river rat"<br />3x pro runabout 720 engine blower!<br />(jetskianist~adictionist~modificationist)

Comment

That plastic shroud around the pole mount is removable, I think thats the gas fill door right? Just take that off and you can remove the pole.

Remember to remove the pole completely you would have to unplug the start stop switch from the electrical box and diconnect the throttle cable from the carb base. You can replace the bushing without completely removing the pole and they do sell oversized bushings to account for the wear.

and 250# is huge for that standup, good luck getting that thing moving. Lean over the handlebars a little to help plane.

Comment

The front top cover is molde on around the mount of the pole.
                Look @ the picture.

What do I look for to get a charging system I can use with the ignition I have?

How do I know if it is a 650 or 750 motor??
                I know one is 650ccm and the other is 750ccm, how do I tell by the look??
                Attached Files
                Last edited by joyenter; 01-01-2005, 05:37 PM.

Comment

OK the pole is of, but now I have to do some fiberglass work. The front cover was molde on to the front and had a BIG chunk of clay inside and it cracked of.

What do I look for to get a charging system I can use with the ignition I have?

How do I know if it is a 650 or 750 motor??
                  I know one is 650ccm and the other is 750ccm, how do I tell by the look??

Comment

Working...
                  X