Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering buying a 85 KAW 550 stand up ski, HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering buying a 85 KAW 550 stand up ski, HELP!!!

Well this ski is in good shape it has been stored indoors since 95. Drained the gas and oil and but fresh fluids in and new batteyr and it fired perfect. Pulled the head and it looks great. Comp is 170 psi. I am getting it for 350 bucks with no trailer. The body is in great shape and is all orig with no cracks. Is it worht it? It seems to be runnign a lil rich but the mix ratio I used was 50 to 1 is that right? Let me know if you think tis a good deal?

85 Kawasaki JS550

http://www.cardomain.com/id/thegraytta

"Keep your nose out of the sky
    Keep your heart to God
    Keep your face to the Rising Sun"

Re: Considering buying a 85 KAW 550 stand up ski, HELP!!!

Sounds like a good deal to me. You don't see that many skis that old in that good of shape. Keep in mind, that is not an easy standup to ride ESPECIALLY if you have never ridden one before. I had a hard enough time learning on my 650sx and the 550 is a smaller ski and even less powerful. Then again for the price, you can't go wrong.
    Chirs Marzo

PWC Liquidators

Comment

Looks good to me. Two months ago I bought an '89 in similar condition and paid $500.00 for it - no trailer.
      Wish me luck learning to ride it and I'll do the same for you.
      Dave
      Any technology, sufficiently advanced, will appear as magic.

Comment

are these skis very reliable? also the only thing that concerns me is that he only has a bill of sale and no title. I checked the serial numbers and it is nto stolen. Can I still get it registered with no ttile and a bill of sale?

85 Kawasaki JS550

http://www.cardomain.com/id/thegraytta

"Keep your nose out of the sky
        Keep your heart to God
        Keep your face to the Rising Sun"

Comment

You can in Georgia but you need to check with your Department of Natural Rescources, or whoever regesters boats. Several states do not even title boats or skis, Georgia being one. It would probably be helpful if you had the current registration card but even that's not always necessary.
          It must be a pretty decent ski, there's still a lot of them around and the people that have them usually keep them a long time..
          Any technology, sufficiently advanced, will appear as magic.

Comment

I recently purchased a '88 300cc which is built the exact same way as yours, minus one cylinder. I paid $300 for mine with no title or trailer. It runs great, but hard to learn how to ride. Although after about 5 times of taking it out you will have the hang of it. That sounds like a good price if it running good. I would get it just to have fun with and maybe to learn how to rebuild a two stroke engine. Another good thing about those skis is, if you blow the engine. you can probably find another for about $300 in good condition. Good luck!:D

I also use the ratio of 50:1 for oil and gas. works great!!!

Comment

170 compression sounds a bit high. You might have a milled head or something, and you might need to be running premium gas.
              The mix ratio should be 40:1.

Depending on your state rules the bill of sale might need to be notarized.
              (Quite a pain if you need to track down the seller later..)

Comment

Working...
              X