Ultra 150 Break-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultra 150 Break-in

I just bought a new 2003 Ultra 150. I've got about 1/2 a tank of fuel through it so far with extra oil. The dealer had filled the tank already so I just added the extra oil to the fuel tank.

After about 1/2 tank of running, it maxes out at 5500 RPM (about 35-37 MPH). Is this normal because of all the extra oil? I just checked the plugs after riding about 20 minutes and 1 & 3 were dry with little brown ash. Number 2 was a bit oily.

Re: Ultra 150 Break-in

Is this a brand new ski? If you have a fouled plug then yes that will probably be correct. Try swapping out the plugs with new ones.
    Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
    2002-1100STX DI
    2004-15F
    2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Yes it's brand new.

Comment

If a new set of plugs doesn't get that thing running better then you need to take it back to the shop pronto. It should be running 63.5 mph stock and there has to be something wrong (ie fouled plugs) for it to be running this crappy.

Comment

It was a bad plug in cylinder 2. When I grounded out that plug wire it ran just as well as with it connected. No fire on that plug at all. I changed that single plug and it's performing much better. When I get through a couple more tanks of breaking fuel, I'll probably put a new set of plugs in.

Comment

that extra oil will kill the plugs, I know a guy that used to clean off his plugs, but at auto zone they are $2.95 a piece so there is really no need to not get new plugs. I normally go through 2 sets a summer, but that is not necessary and I do put alot of hours on her.
            Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
            2002-1100STX DI
            2004-15F
            2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Originally posted by FastUltra
              that extra oil will kill the plugs, I know a guy that used to clean off his plugs, but at auto zone they are $2.95 a piece so there is really no need to not get new plugs. I normally go through 2 sets a summer, but that is not necessary and I do put alot of hours on her.
              Is sure is eating plugs! The first one in cylinder 2 lasted about 3/4 of a tank of fuel. I moved plug 1 to 2 and put a new plug in 1. The plug I moved to 2 lasted another 3/4 of a tank of fuel before it died. I put in a complete new set last night but I saved the two working plugs as spares.

I wonder if I could back off on the extra oil since I can't push the ski very hard anyway. I've been running it at about 5500 RPM max because I have a 40MPH speed limit on my lake. So it's running slow and probably cool and rich anyway at part throttle all the time.

Comment

That is allot of plugs. I'll tell you what, take a look and see if the oil pump cable is working correctly, if it has come off of the wheel, the pump will get locked into 100% oil delivery. Which with your premix you would probably be getting more oil then gas at this point.

The best way to check it is hold it Wide Open and you should be able to turn the wheel on the oil pump just a hair more before it hits the stop.
                Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
                2002-1100STX DI
                2004-15F
                2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Working...
                X