2000 Ultra 150, # 2 Cylinder Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2000 Ultra 150, # 2 Cylinder Dead

There is an idle fuel mixture adjustment screw but it is very hard to get to, and the carbs have to come off the boat. That plug looks alittle rich, but at idle Ultras run alittle rich. Being rich won't hurt anything, I don't see a connection to toasting a jug. You may want to try a carb rebuild on all 3. Check to see if the oil pump cable is opening and closing correctly. Are you adding premix too?
    Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
    2002-1100STX DI
    2004-15F
    2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

No, Im not adding premix. Just putting oil in the oil tank, and fuel in the fuel tank. In a two stroke, if there was not enough oil being mixed witht the fuel, could that cylinder show signs of being too rich even if the fuel is rich but missing the oil? Im just wondering if that cylinder is getting the oil it should. I checked when I had it apart, and there was oil in all of the lines going to the carbs. I just dont want to repeat the cylinder damage, obviously something caused it originally, and when I changed the plugs previously they all looked pretty close to each other as far as color and burn.

Comment

No you are either getting way too much oil, or too much gas. neither of which will hurt anything. I am running out of ideas. How is it running? Is it performing good? After you have ran through the break in period I would do a WOT plug chop to see what the carbs are doing. But I would not go WOT for very long until you have done the plug chop. This way we can see exactly what the carbs are doing. If the engine is running lean you can damage a jug again. I don't know if you know how to do a plug chop but its not to hard. The only thing you need is a new set of plugs.

First after you put the new plugs in run it at different speeds for several minutes (20 or more) but never go more then 3/4. Then run it wide open for 20-30 seconds, and then kill the engine. But do not let off the gass until the engine has died. Then pull it back to shore and pull the plugs. If you can take a picture of them. What we are looking for is the color of the porseln. If you look at the spark plug you will see a metal tip at the center of the plug, if you look up more on the new plugs you will see the white porseln. After you run the engine and kill it the plugs will have a color on them indicating the air/fuel mixture. Lean will be white or light, light brown, Tan- dark brown is ideal, dark, dark brown-black is rich.

The reason you have to kill the engine and then pull it back in, is if the engine goes back to idle you will only see the mixture at idle. We want to see what the mixture is at WOT, if its too lean we know we have a bad problem. If its rich then no damage will be done, but the performance will be down.

I hope this is helping, I will be out of town this hole weekend, if you need more info you can give me a call at (618) 792-5529
        Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
        2002-1100STX DI
        2004-15F
        2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Working...
        X