Best Impeller????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Impeller????

I have a 650sx and I am trying to decifer which impeller to choice. I don't have too have the highest speed, I want a good all around prop. Good hole shot and top end. Any suggestions and where to buy?

Tom

Re: Best Impeller????

This is what SOLAS has listed for that model

650 TS/SC All Years 650 140mm KASC-I 13/18 $385

650 SX/JM All Years 650 140mm 0KASC-I 13/18 $385

I know there is a company caled Scat Trak which makes impellers for some Kawis as well. I searched google for Scat Trak ... Scat-Trak ... Scat Track ... etc. I am not finding thier site for some reason. Not sure why.

I can not tell you what the best impeller is. Impellers and propellers do more than just push things. They alter the power delivery curve. On a boat a smaller prop with less pitch may get you out of the hole but it may burn up your engine. A big prop may give you theoretical top speed but if your engine can not pull it theoretical speeds are all you will have.

On my ski I am going with a stock replacement. Engineers go to school for a very long time and the generally know what they are doing. The engineers at Kawasaki are very good and they always seek to build the best product. You can be quite sure they tested and modeled many impeller configurations to find the best one for your ski. I have been a mechanic for many years and worked in race shops. I have seen lots of people take a good vehicle, bolt on a bunch of stuff, and end up with a vehicle that is unrideable and unreliable. So to think you can read some ad in a magazine, pull out what the engineers intended the vehicle to have and put "something else" on is not always a good idea. Stock replacement may not sound very exciting compared to "ultimate race prop" with the picture of the guy jumping his ski 3 feet out of the water but for most all around application it works extremely well.

The biggest issue on old skis is not that the impeller design is bad it is simply that jet pumps require tight tolerances to work well. If your tolerances are out your jet pump looses efficiency. If you read the Kawasaki service manual it will give you a pump to housing clearance. On my ski the impeller is pitted and worn and the pump to housing clearance is excessive. This causes a loss of throughput in the system. By putting in a new stock replacement impeller (from Solas or Skat Trak) and verifying my pump to housing clearance is correct, making sure my engine is proplerly aligned to the impeller shaft, and having everything properly lubricated, tuned and maintained. I believe that is how to achieve the best all around power characteristics for the ski I am building.

07/18/2005 With Help found the Skat Trak site.

Looks like they are recommending the following:

650 TS 89-96 9/17 Standard 9/17 to 10/18 Standard

650 SX 86-93 8/16 Standard 9/17 Standard

You can get them at http://www.atlanticjetsports.com/skattrak1.htm

For my ski a Skat-Track recommendation for a stock replacement impeller would be a 9/17 so that is what I would go with. If the ski is stock ... stock replacement recommendations are always a good place to start.

I hope you find this information to be helpful.
    Last edited by Okanogan; 07-18-2005, 11:52 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

The stock Aluminum impeller can be used as a paper weight. Dont know where the last post was going..... but if you have a stock ski and want a better impeller for a stock application look for a 8/16 Skat-trak. If you have some mods like higher compression, bigger carb, aftermarket pipe. I would go with a 15.5 Solas or Skat-trak or a 9/17 Skat-trak.

Comment

http://www.skat-trak.com/

typed in Skat trak and wala top of the list.

Some companies are not very adept at seeding search engines (ie paying them or using other techniques) so that they will be found in at least the top ten returns. In such cases use keywords like skat track corporate or contact, link etc and it will pull up other pages with links to your target. Its lame I know but thats what happens when your webmaster also makes sure that the water cooler stays full and delivers all the company mail.

Comment

Working...
        X