'98 1100 stx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '98 1100 stx

My '98 stx 1100 has 66hrs on it. It is difficult to start however, once it warms up it runs great. It also smokes alot especially at start-up, seems to be running rich? Is there anything i can try short of changing carb sets or oil pump?. Is this an inheret problem with this model? any help would be appreciated.

Re: '98 1100 stx

Hard starting is a problem inherent to most 1100s. A primer kit will help. Also, search this forum for other solutions.

Comment

I actually installed the primer kit on my '98 1100 stx this spring, same issue as yours, hard start when cold. Install is pretty simple, you can get the kit from Overtons, you'll need the triple Keihn(sp?), $39.00. No special tools needed, there are a few detailed instructions on the web for the job. May take a couple hours for a slow tinkerer (like me). Previous starting process was, choke, crank, crank, keep cranking, pull throttle, cuss, crank, stop to let starter cool, crank some more, etc. Now it is pump primer 7 or 8 times, hit starter button for 1 or 2 seconds, she fires, give a little throttle, maybe hit the primer pump another time or two, back off the lift and off we go!!

Comment

All 1100 Kawasakis of this year are very hard to start without a primer kit. It is an inherit problem with the Keihen carbs. Put a primer on and be done with it. As far as the smoking they also do burn rich especially at idle. They use a fixed ratio oil pump and it will deliver a rich oil mixture even at idle compared to other pumps that are variable ratio.
        WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

Originally posted by WATERCRAFTSERVICES
          All 1100 Kawasakis of this year are very hard to start without a primer kit. It is an inherit problem with the Keihen carbs. Put a primer on and be done with it. As far as the smoking they also do burn rich especially at idle. They use a fixed ratio oil pump and it will deliver a rich oil mixture even at idle compared to other pumps that are variable ratio.
          thanks for the help guys you answered my questions.

Comment

Working...
          X