Overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating

I have an 96 ZXI 1100. I have rebuilt the yop end using an SBT cylinder exchange kit. I have an aftermarket head 31cc, 98 carbs, aftermarket waterbox , new impeller and jet pump bearings and housing, and have changed all the hoses. The problem that I am having is that the front cylinder is overheating. All the hoses are clear as I have checked the flow 6 times and have completely re-built the motor.

My question is why is it overheating to the fact that the front piston melted and is easily 20+ degrees hotter than the other 2. I am in the process of rebuilding the motor once more but before I run it again I could use some insight. I also used to get water through my exhaust whcih no longer happens. Is that normal. I am replacing the switch that goes between the motor and the hose gromet since i thought that may be bad, but I am not sure it is a valve as much as a heat sensor.

Any help would be appreciated:emoticonc

Re: Overheating

You need to find out why water isn't getting to the exhaust. If the temp. light is on and you're burning a piston, I'd say the sensor is working fine. The front cylinder typically runs hotter than the others.

What do you mean by "98 carbs". Did you install a set of CDCV carbs from a '98 model. If so, why? You may be running lean on the front cylinder instead of running "hot".

Comment

Originally posted by RAT454
      You need to find out why water isn't getting to the exhaust. If the temp. light is on and you're burning a piston, I'd say the sensor is working fine. The front cylinder typically runs hotter than the others.

What do you mean by "98 carbs". Did you install a set of CDCV carbs from a '98 model. If so, why? You may be running lean on the front cylinder instead of running "hot".
      I did intsall a set of CDCV carbs. My original ones were junk and when I replaced them I was told that the newer carbs would give me better throttle response and gas milage. I have not touched the settings since they were supposed to be stock. I am running mix right now at 40:1. Is there supposed to be water coming out of my exhaust when running or flushing? Also The temp light never goes off so I think it may be broken.

Comment

When flushing, water should be coming out of the telltale on the side, and out of a hole that is to the left of the steering knozzle, up above the ride plate. and some water out of the exhaust. the exhaust pipe should be cool, the number one will get hot on the flusher. when running, there should be a steady stream at speed, and a little at idle. so, what ya got? oh, and the temp sensor is just in front of the seat, at the top of the hull. follow the small hose from the top of the exahust to it. make sure the sensor wire is plugged in. also, that sensor tends to get clogged, might need to clean it out. hope this helps you.

Comment

Working...
        X