Only steam out telltale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only steam out telltale?

I just bought a '96 zxi 900. Was told it was a fresh rebuild, to the point that I was told to run extra premix. Maiden voyage and after a couple minutes it overheats and goes into limp home mode. Mind you, this is my first pwc and it didn't even come with the owners manual...

After scouring (and learning tons!) here, I noticed the telltale puts out steam rather than water. Does this mean bad head gasket?

Having a snowmobile background I took compression tests before I even ran it and it showed 100 pounds. What is normal for this engine? If it really isn't broke in, its possible the rings aren't seated yet?

Any advice is extremely welcome as I'm not a very happy ebayer right now!!! :(

Re: Only steam out telltale?

Every time that has happened to me, it's meant there's something wrong with the water line. Either the plug came off the line at the pump, or there's a partial blockage on the line. I'm not exactly an expert, but I'd hook it up to a hose and see if water came out at both the pump and the pisser.

Comment

What should the compression be running at? Also, starts very hard when warm, but seems to start good once cold with choke on full. Is a primer the answer here? Seems a primer would be more of a cold start solution?

Comment

Compression should be 110 to 120 with a good guage like snap on. I check mine with a cheap guage and mine showed 100. Used a snap on then it showed 110. Also find out why they rebuilt the engine in the first place and make sure that problem was fixed. It would be bad if it has a bad oil pump or carb diaphram that they didnt fix. You could also have a pump issue.too worn out to push water through engine, I have heard of this a couple times. But i would double check all hoses. Just some ideas . GOOD LUCK!!!

Comment

Working...
        X