Ultra 150 electrical problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultra 150 electrical problem

I have a 99 ultra 150 that just started giving me electrical problems. I replaced battery couple of monthes so that is OK, but last weekend when I was riding it I hit the stop button and it died just fine but as soon as I quit pushing the button it fired up again. It did this several times so I removed the "kill switch key" to prevent it from starting. When I put the kill switch back it the first time it worked like normal but later it did it again and this time it would keep restarting until the kill switch was removed and left out. I called the Kaw shop and they said they never heard of such a problem before and I should bring it in and they would take a look at it in the next couple of weeks.
    Oh and the battery light flashes when it is doing this and the ski is running, when light isn't flashing then it also isn't restarting on it's own so I assume they must be related. The battery is fully charged and tested OK so I would guess it is not the problem. Seems like there may be a wired shorted or maybe a relay sticking.
    Anyone have experience with a problem like this? any suggestions?
    I hate to take it to the Kaw shop since they are so slow and winter will be here before I get it back.

Re: Ultra 150 electrical problem

sounds like a bad starter switch. You can remove the switch pannel and dismantle it. Try to look for something that is causing the starter switch to stick. Report back if that doesn't do the trick there is one more thing you can try. On most Ultra's the battery light flashes sometimes. The only time you should worry about it is if it is flashing and the engine is revved above 3000 RPMS.
    Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
    2002-1100STX DI
    2004-15F
    2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Working...
    X