kaw sts runs good on land not under load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kaw sts runs good on land not under load

:emoticonc :emoticonc I have two Kawasaki sts's, the first one started to shut off at high end. Then would start up and run okay for a while, like it was running out of gas. I replaced the fuel filters in both. It did not fix the problem, but seems to run longer before shutting off. It starts right up and you can ride for a while. The second ski just started doing the same thing. What trouble shooting procedure
    steps should I take?:emoticonc

Re: kaw sts runs good on land not under load

try uplugging the exhaust temp sensor and see how that works

Comment

Where is the temp sensor? I found one hose that comes off the jet that goes to a sensor that is mounted on the hull next to oil tank but its on the right side.
      Did not see a way to unplug it. I could plug the hose going to it. The wires are sealed and they go into the electronics box.:emoticonc :emoticonc :emoticonc :emoticonc

Comment

I ran it on the hose and when you could feel the exaust can temp rise, at full rpm, the engine would shut off or if you let off the gas it would go to idle good. Then when the exaust can cooled off you could go back to full throtle again, till the can got hot again. I do not know where the exaust temp sensor is locate. Please help. You are right on target.:emoticonc :emoticonc

Comment

sounds like plugged carbs, or brittle parts in the carb (rebuild time?). especially if this has been setting. engines don't take much to free-run (on a trailer) but under a load (in the water) they take much more fuel.

Comment

oh, sorry, you say it runs ok when it's cool. In the imortal words of rosanna-rosanna-dana "Nevermind"

Comment

If it was the carbs wouldnt it stall completly? Mine just go to idle, if I let off the throtle. But they die if I keep it full throtle.

Comment

nah, carbs could be letting a little gas in, just not a lot. However, if it only does this when it's hot, it's probably your sending unit.... like the other replies were saying.

Comment

nah, carbs could be letting a little gas in, just not a lot. However, if it only does this when it's hot, it's probably your sending unit.... like the other replies were saying.

You should be able to unhook the wires at the temp. sending unit to check it out, see what it does if you unplug those wires, or just one, and tape it off, see what it does. If it's running for a bit, and it's not the temp. sending unit, and after a minute it dies, possibly your fuel selector switch, clogged gas lines, filter, or ?

Comment

When the muffler gets hot it shuts off or it will let you go to idle:emoticonc . The other ski the muffler does not get hot.:emoticonc

Comment

hrmm, is your muffler getting REAL hot? I'd look for a restriction in your water line. Perhaps you have some junk at the thermostat, or pop-off, or in one of the lines where it hooks up to the muffler....

Comment

I took the small hose off and alot of water was going to the muffler. I took the output of muffler off and it shot out alot of water and black crap everwhere. Oops!!!! Still got hot and shut off. :emoticonc :emoticonc :emoticonc :emoticonc

Comment

hey, but maybe that's it. Is the water going from the hose that the crap came out of, through the muffler. Perhaps the muffler is bad. Is the water making it from the last hose you took off, THROUGH the muffler (like if you were using a flush kit, does water actually make it out?)

Comment

Water makes it out. I tool the final hose off it shot water out and alot of oil. Look like its running ritch. Still shut off that way too.

Where is the thermostat located?:emoticonc :emoticonc :emoticonc :emoticonc :emoticonc

Comment

Working...
                            X