please help just brought jet ski home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help just brought jet ski home

:emoticons i just bought a 300 sx that is in like new condition for 200.00 and the guy said it would not run but i put a new plug and battery in and she started right up what i need to know is where do i hook up my garden hose to run her for more than a few seconds the yamaha wave runners i have are at the back of the head but i do not see where to do this one.
    this is my first true stand up are they hard please need some pointers on how to ride this i have a wave jammer as well and it is kindof a standup please help
    thanks
    joe

Re: please help just brought jet ski home

anyone know anything about this ski?

Comment

Can't help with the garden hose, interested to know myself as I have two 550's. As far as getting up, it takes upper body strength. Pretty much I just lay with my stomach kinda on tail, arms straight. As you take off pull yourself up onto your knees. As you plane out stand up. I imagine this is even more difficult on a smaller ski, better acceleration probably cancels out wobble from pulling one leg up at a time. I think pulling both knees up at once makes it easier if you have the strength. You just have to manage the throttle so you're not making it too hard for yourself by going too slow or too fast. It just takes practice and a little skin off your knees. Sorry if this doesn't help, but that's just how you do it.
      Then you turn around and put your butt up against the handlebars and try to drive backwards. Hee Hee :emoticonl

Comment

You will need to acquire a 3/8" tee fitting and find the water line coming in from the jet pump. Splice that line with the tee and add a piece of 3/8" hose to the middle leg of that tee. Cap off that hose with a female hose adapter and don't forget to get the male cap for when you are not flushing the system. All parts can be found at any hardware store or you can find generic flush kits on Ebay either way will work. Don't forget to make sure the engine is running BEFORE you start the water or water will find its way into the cylinder. No bueno! Hope this helps.

Comment

Flush kits were not installed on Kaws from the factory - we had to add them from aftermarket suppliers - it sounds like yours may not have had one installed, so you will need to fabricate one. As kr said - on a ski with stock cooling and exhaust systems - the tee fitting would be installed in the cooling line between the firewall and the exhaust manifold.

Tony
          Tony

1988 JS550
          milled head, bored nozzle, K&N arrestor, rev limiter eliminator kit, PJS Type II Works rear exhaust system, 1/2" cooling system, primer kit, PJS reed pipe and manifold, 15 degree prop, Jetinetics lightweight charging flywheel, trued & welded crankshaft, PJS bulkhead support, PJS speed ride plate

Comment

get 'er running, then just ride ride the beast - go ahead and plan on lots of falling and drinking a lot of water - but it's a worthwhile investment to master one of these things! :D

the original reason I bought my 550 was because my first ride on one was a rental at the lake for one hour - it was one of the most frustrating things I've ever done, but I was hooked - that hour went by really fast. I was determined to learn how to do it, but I realized I'd go broke paying rental... so I bought one.

You start out dragging, keeping your kibbles and bits out of the nozzle's blast. Next, pull yourself up into the tray, riding on your knees - here's where you initially get a feel for how she handles. I figure I spent about 5-10 hours blasting around on my knees, gradually sneaking up on my feet, falling and swimmimg a lot, before I could ride standing up and get in the general direction I wanted to go. The JS hull is so incredibly unstable - it's like trying to stand up on a log - but once your brain gets in sync with how the thing works, that instability is what makes it so cool, allows you to do those unmatched wicked body turns.

Learning advanced riding techniques, such as body turns, weight shifting, and freestyle stuff were greatly assisted by watching - if you can see somebody do it, it helps a lot. If you don't have any good local stand-up riders, try to find some video - the IJSBA races used to be carried on TV (ESPN?) - I don't know if any is still available, I haven't looked. There is a great 1989 video that was put together by Scott Watkins called "Jet Dreams", with him riding with Rippenkroeger, Fischetti, and Goatcher. I would consider this required viewing for a stand-up rider - it will show you body positioning for a lot of advanced riding, and the motivation - 4 of the top stand-up riders of all time - it will make you want to go riding right now!
            If I ever sell my ski and everything with it, "Jet Dreams" stays :D .

Happy skiing, and best of luck with your stand-up!

Tony
            Tony

1988 JS550
            milled head, bored nozzle, K&N arrestor, rev limiter eliminator kit, PJS Type II Works rear exhaust system, 1/2" cooling system, primer kit, PJS reed pipe and manifold, 15 degree prop, Jetinetics lightweight charging flywheel, trued & welded crankshaft, PJS bulkhead support, PJS speed ride plate

Comment

thanks for the replys i hope i can do this i stood on it in the backyard and it sure feels very tippy but hey i love to swim i noticed that there is no lanyard to kill the motr when you fall off what keeps the ski from going away from me when i fall off?

thanks again
              joe

Comment

If you've got the engine tuned to where it'll idle reliably - after you fall off, it should start circling after it slows down from whatever warp-speed you were doing, idling happily away while you swim back over to it to go at it again :D
                Tony

1988 JS550

Comment

ok thanks going this weekend here is a link to what i bought i found out the guy lived here in the same town as me and was someone i went to school with made him a cash offer and he took it what do you think of this setup he says is done to it and how fast do you think it will go he said it would keep up with my 500 wave runners hey for 200 bucks you cant go wrong i dont think they are so much fun and the good thing is i think falling off is all the fun of jet skis so sounds like i have a winner here with the stand up

thanks alot
                  joe

Comment

for got the link
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7174430318
                    joe

Comment

Working...
                    X