98 1100STX Engine problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 1100STX Engine problem

I have a 98 1100 STX and I am going on my third SBT motor in it. The last three engines all lost compression in the number 1 cylinder. The first new motor had a piston ring snap, now the second motor detenoted. The original engine fried the number 1 cylinder. It seems to be different problems all with the same cylinder. The local shop doing the work can't seem to find what is causing this to happen. I am about through with the whole thing. I logged in 30 min. on the first new motor before everything went haywire, and the second had almost 10 hours on it before it blew. Can anyone offer any ideas? You want to talk expensive!! I also followed the SBT break in instructions! I am also thinking about purchasing a 15F just to get away from the two stroke. Any feedbacks on that jetski?

Thanks,
    Brent

Re: 98 1100STX Engine problem

I had the same problem on my zxi last year, same cylinder has you, ate 3 pistons. Heres the 1st piston: http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15280. I fixed the problem after reading this: http://www.groupk.com/sep.htm. by first getting a new fuel pump, and second by always running the fuel selector in the reserve position. Most of the time when I go riding I go to a river thats flat and fast and I ride 50-80 miles in a couple of hours at 3/4 throttle and above.I would always run the tank down to nothing before I switched to reserve and head back for fuel. This was keeping the fuel pick up exposed and a bunch of air getting in the fuel line, and with the single fuel pump on 98 and up 1100 Kawi"s by the time fuel got to the front cylinder which is the farthest from the pump it was so aerated that it caused a lean condition and would detonate the piston. Since I started keeping the fuel selector in reserve instead of the on position I have logged (GPS) over a thousand miles this summer without any piston trouble.

Comment

Re: 98 1100STX Engine problem

I'd say it's definitely sounding like a fuel/carb problem!
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
      X