did i get a good deal or hosed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did i get a good deal or hosed?

I just picked up a '84 440 for $300 with a karavan trailer. the article in the classifieds said "attn. mechanics blah blah blah $500". the owner (a woman about 60 years old) said it had been at the dealership and it was going to cost her about $900 to fix. I know it isn't worth anywhere near that, so I hooked up one of my seadoo batteries and turned it over to see if it was seized up, and it wasn't. I figured i'd pay almst 300 for a trailer which i needed anyhow, so i bought it. got it home and checked compression (125 psi in both holes, is that normal or low?) checked spark its good too. I put fresh gas in and got it to fire up, but noticed tha there is a lot of exhaust in the engine compartment and traced it to a rusted waterbox. she said it would run for a while and then die out, so i am thinking it is just filling up the engine compartment with exhaust and killing the motor. any ideas or oppinins on my purchess?

Re: did i get a good deal or hosed?

Not a bad deal. The trailer is probably worth $300.00. It is most likely dying from the exhaust in the engine compartment. The old waterboxes were known to crack and cause this exact problem. Replace the waterbox and try it.
    WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

I just searched for them in the parts FS forum, and say that you were parting out a 440. do you have the waterbox?

Comment

nevermind, I just saw that you replied to my post, I'll give you a call. Whens a good time?

Comment

125psi is low for that motor. But as long as it is equal, you are golden.
          Dan Solie -
          04 RXP (the "Instigator")
          94 xp (freestyle mods)
          95 xp (faster than the 94)
          JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Working...
          X