Clear All

• New SBT engine - can't keep it running

89' 650 X2 Jetski
    Westcoast pipe
    PJS intake
    Mikuni BN Single
    PJS water box
    Premix and primer

The ski was sitting for several years after it stopped running. Once I got my hands on the machine I tore down the engine, realized just about every bearing was out of tolerance and thus decided on a SBT engine.

I installed the engine, rebuilt the carb, flushed the fuel tank, replaced much of the fuel line, spark plugs, and checked/replaced electrical connections as needed. Excited, I drove to the water, gave it a primer shot and .... instant start on the first few revolutions. I was thrilled to say the least until it died about 10 seconds later. Tried again, started right back up again. This process repeated several times while I tweaked the carb settings (I assumed the problem was fuel mixture). The engine ran as long as a minute but typically for about 10-30 seconds before it would die again. After about five minutes it just stopped even trying to start. Baffled I checked for spark - and found none!

Disgruntled I took the ski out of the water and back to the cabin. There I continued not to have a spark. Swapped the CDI with a spare, still no spark. Let the ski sit for about two hours,,,, boom spark was back and strong! So I messed with all the connections, double checked the wiring and headed for the water..... Same result - short engine run time followed by a sudden engine stop. Eventually it again would not start – still just felt like a carburetion problem, but, checked spark and it was sometimes present but appeared weak (difficult to tell for certain in daylight).

Any thoughts? I tested all of the ignition components (CDI, exciter coil) and everything appears inside of resistance specifications. I doubt both CDIs are faulty. Is this a spark problem or am I miss-diagnosing a fuel issue? I am thinking about just replacing the exciter coil, but advice is appreciated as I am just starting to learn about 2-strokes.

Also can anybody tell me what the "pilot" screw adjustment does on a Mikuni carb?
    Last edited by Luv2JetSki; 08-16-2005, 11:14 AM.

Re: New SBT engine - can't keep it running

I don't know why you titled this 'SBT engine - can't keep it running'. It should be 'old junk ski - can't get it running'.

If you are losing spark after it heats up, replace your stator. The pilot screw controls your idle mixture. You may very well still have a carb issue, no one can say over the internet. You need to solve your ignition issue first.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Point Taken, the engine itself and my experience with SBT thus far has been a pleasure. Hopefully I did not lead anybody astray; my intention was simply to point out that it was unlikely to be the engines fault. I'd hate to call it an old piece of junk though, this thing has been in the family from the time it was new and had a hard 1,000+ hrs with no rebuild and very few problems.

As for the pilot screw, that confuses me slightly. So to clarify, the pilot needle valve controls the "very low" RPM (idle), then you have the low needle valve which controls low-mid RPM, and the high needle valve that controls high RPM?

Thanks for the advice, now that I have confirmation on the spark problem, I will get the stator exciter coil on order.

-Zac

Comment

Correct on the needles.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
        X