1100 stxdi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1100 stxdi

after 30 min of riding today the check engine light came on but didnt seem to run bad, i could turn the motor off and immediatley restart it and it would go off but would return in 2-3 min. anybody got a clue???

Re: 1100 stxdi

You need to get your dealer to connect to your ski and access the codes. Then they will be able to tell you what's going on. There's just too many variables which cause a check engine light.
    2001 Kawasaki STX1100 DI (w/GroupK Stage 1)<br />1997 Sea-Doo GSX<br />2004 Kawasaki SX-R

Comment

just got it from the dealer $111.00, they told me they pulled codes on it from the computer hooked to it and it read low oil level and also crank position sensor. they said i had low oil level??? i had 1/2 a tank, they also said my plugs looked bad so they put new plugs in it and said all should be fine. i took it to the water and ran it for about 10 min straight, thought all was fine but the check engine light came back on again. i could have sworn that i felt it miss just a tad for a split second (noticed the tack drop just one bar) not sure but may have been imagining this but anyway i guess i have to bring it back to the dealer. my question to you is with this crank position sensor read out on there computer, what is the correct protocal for this?? also, i see you have a 1100 stx di- what type of oil do you run?

Comment

I'm guessing (since it happened to me), the low oil level was probably due to the dealer starting it during the pre-delivery inspection, prior to filling the tank. Most dealers were not aware that they need to go in and clear the codes, prior to delivery. If they replaced the CPS, it must of have been a code 16. This can either be the CPS or an EMM failure. If your still getting a code 16 after they have replaced the CPS, bad news, it's the EMM. Did they erase the stored codes after they replaced the CPS? Find out which codes were stored. I got a good deal on a few cases of Kawi-Chem High Performance oil, so that's what I'm running currently. I have enough to last a few years.
        2001 Kawasaki STX1100 DI (w/GroupK Stage 1)<br />1997 Sea-Doo GSX<br />2004 Kawasaki SX-R

Comment

they never replaced the cps, they just said it was probably bad spark plugs, i just dropped it off to the dealer again, the mechanic was saying it was probably a bad emm. he did clear the codes or what he called it reset them. is it common to replace the cps??? he said it wasnt. i would think that if it spits out a code for the cps then i should at least replace that before spending money on a new emm wouldnt you think??

Comment

oh yea, i have to add that after i picked it up from the dealer yesterday i ran it for about 10 min at 50 mph until the check engine light came on again. the ski seems to run fine. does that seem like symtoms of a bad emm? i cringe thinking about spending 1100. on an emm!!

Comment

This is bizarre... You've got one screwed up dealer there! They pull a code for a bad CPS and they replace spark plugs? It's not a common problem, but like any electronic device they will fail. I had one fail on me last year. Mine wouldn't run longer then 10 seconds. I noticed Kawi changed the design and/or supplier on it. I haven't heard of any intermittent problems with the EMM's. Either they work or they don't. Verify the dealer has diagnosed it correctly and get a copy of the log file.

Comment

i agrere, i thought it was a little strange, the mech. called me this afternoon and told me he pulled the codes on it and again it read cps. he checked it and stated that is was bad- something to the effect that a wire inside the sensor was loose and not making connection, he to put a new on and hopefully all will be ok. Are emm failures common with this model? as much as i hear about them failing it kinda scares me! thanks for your response.

Comment

There was a high failure rate with the 2002 EMM's, related to a mfg issue. I had a friend that worked for Kawi in Irvine, Ca. He used to give all the latest poop on these machines, when they were popular. At one point, he had the EMM source code and was able to modify it to get over 61 mph out of these things, with the only addition being a new prop. Due to federal emission tampering laws, he wasn't able to bring it to market.

Comment

Working...
                  X