550 trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 550 trouble

Well, I bought my 1986 js550 last year. Right away had to rebuild the top end. While at it, I put on a coffmans exhaust system. Now I am having carb issues. The carb on the ski right now is the stock mikuni 44 round body. Just noticed yesterday that the ski doesn't want to rev or plane from idle. After inspecting the carb, I noticed oil/gas leaking out of the carb. The leak is coming from a circular piece of pressed aluminum that has been pressed into the carb. The area is supposed to be sealed off. All of the paint near this area has come off from so much gas leakage. I did install a 2.5 needle &seat to accomadate the coffman exhaust specs. I think I need a new carb. Can the SBN 44 be installed right away? Is this my problem? Also The rebuilt top end only has about 2 hours on it and compression is at about 115 in each cylinder. Is my comprssion low and is this bad? Please help me get my ski running! :emoticonb

Re: 550 trouble

That compression is a bit low. The SBN 44 will not bolt up to the existing intake manifold. It will require more clearance at the cylinders. You will need either an aftermarket manifold or a spacer for the stock 44 manifold used on the BN carbs. In addition to adding the 2.5 needle and seat the stock 44 will need to be rejetted to work with the coffman pipe. The stock jet size is too small and will run lean on top end with that pipe.
    WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

Re: 550 trouble

well guess what, I took the ski out yesterday, it had been running fine the day before. I was on it at about 3/4 throttle and it died. Came back to the beach did a compression test and broke into tears when I saw 115 in one and 30 in the other cylinder. 1000 dollars later (500 to buy, 500 to rebuild top end) and I still have a broken ski. It looks like the rear cylinder, farthest from pole, was not recieving gas or something. The plug in the front cylinder was a nice golden brown. The rear cylinder plug was white and dry. I don't know what to do. Should I sell the piece of crap or try to fix it again? don't know whats wrong with it.:(

Comment

Working...
      X