Ultra-150 Running on Hose Temperatures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultra-150 Running on Hose Temperatures

I rebuilt myUltra-150 engine from top to bottom with a crank from SBT which I was very impressed with. I also replaced all the seals, gaskets, pistons (WSM Platinum), pins, fuel pump, oil pump, oil lines, hoses, fuel filter, etc.

I could spin the engine nice & easily by hand when I got it together, so it was not binding at all. It passed the pressure test, so I doubt there are any air leaks.

I test started it on the garden hose...Starts right up, runs smooth, no nasty noises. The front cylinder stays completely cool to touch, the center cylinder was a little warm until I made the idle screw richer, then it was fine just like the first one, but the rear cylinder gets hot to the touch no matter how I have the carb idle mix set. The plug does not look lean, it comes out clean and wet with fuel as the others. I measured the bores with a bore gage and they were fine (stock).

The question: Do you think that the higher temperature in the rear cylinder is due to flow variations running on the hose and there will not a problem if I run it in the water?

I remember hearing somewhere that the Ultra flush kit puts more water into the exhaust than into the cylinders. If I pull the water hose off the rear cylinder it has a good stream and is hot, but not steaming.

I appreciate your help and opinion. Thanks,

Re: Ultra-150 Running on Hose Temperatures

My Ultra a's 3rd Jug always runs warmer on the hose. I think it is caused by the water flowing backwards from the manafold into the cylinders. I usually have my hose turn on all the way.
    Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
    2002-1100STX DI
    2004-15F
    2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Re: Ultra-150 Running on Hose Temperatures

Update:
      Ran the Ultra in the water today. I'm happy to report that all the cylinders had approximately the same acceptable temperatures.

So the conclusion is that Ultras don't get adequate or evenly distributed cooling water when running on a hose. The original engine never ran so smooth as this rebuild does which I attribute to the welded and balanced crankshaft work by SBT and the teflon-coated pistons.

This is the third engine since I purchased the ski new. The 2001 ski has only 75 hours on it.

The first engine self-destructed with only 4 hours on it (and with the first tank of gasoline which was not premix) since the dealer apparently failed to prime the oil lines. I was also told that the oil pump was defective.

Kawasaki USA refused to provide a new engine and instead had the dealer rebuild the original one. It sat in the shop for almost 6 months.

It never ran well after that and a subsequent disassembly by me this year revealed that the dealer never replaced the damaged crankshaft and several other parts including a cracked piston. The dealer also incorrectly connected the oil lines which caused additional damage.

Kawasaki USA also refused to extend the warranty for the time that the ski sat in the shop.

Kawasaki USA should be ashamed of the way they handled this warranty work. I'm considering bringing litigation against both the dealer and Kawasaki. I'd think long and hard about purchasing another Kawasaki product. What ever happened to all that Japanese pride in their product that they used to promote? What a joke.

Comment

Re: Ultra-150

[SAME THING happened with my 150 ..engine blew less than 20 hrs 1999 ULTRA ,kaw wouldnt back a **** thing ,nor did the dealer.. still got the ski and i'm gonna drop a engine in it in a few weeks ...congrats on getting it going ...BTW i still kept my sea doo gtx and it has never left me stranded....C

Comment

Working...
        X