Just got a 1983 JS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got a 1983 JS550

I just got a free 83' js550 and would like to mod it. I am in the process of tearing down the motor now and would like some direction as to how i should proceed. I plan to replace the stock exhaust manifold with a 440 manifold as it appears to flow better. I would also like to put a 44mm mikuni card on it. Has anyone done this before that could help me out?? And where can i get the parts for this thing?

Re: Just got a 1983 JS550

550 mods are easy and awesome! I have an 84' JS550 with a Kerker Pipe and a 44bn carb. The thing will smoke a stock 650sx. Well, smoke kinda when top speed is only about 35ish lol. I personally would not go with the 440 intake, but go aftermarket, kerker, westcoast etc.

There is a member here named Cameron Da' River Rat, he has TONS of old Kawi parts. Post in the parts wanted section everything you want and need.
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

thanks a bunch for the referal to cameron da'river rat i will post my needed parts soon..by the way, does anyone know what a water box eliminator does? i figured the obvious, so the real question is what does a waterbox do, what happens if i remove it?

Comment

If you remove the waterbox you will be extremely loud and obnoxious. These ol' 550's with the side exhaust are already loud enough. Keep it on, don't give PWC's a bad name. The waterbox acts as a muffler, as well as part of your tuned exhaust system. If you want it to be a little louder, go out and get a TDR waterbox. Gives it more of a "tuned" sound.
        Dan Solie -
        94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

The reason I thought it was tempting was b/c i found the nos kit for 2 stroke pwc and have plans to purchase it as soon as i find some room for the bottle. The entire point of rebuilding this ski it to see just how much power i can get out of the little thing. I thought i might have room for a bottle if i free'd up all that space in the nose. Is there another was to create some space??

Comment

You have tons of room above the motor in the hood cavity. The engine barely even sits above the hood line.

NOS a 550....That I gotta see. Anything over 35 and those things are ALL over the place. Are you going to do this on a piston port or a reed motor?
            Dan Solie -
            94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

nos will be on piston port engine. stock block, stock compression head, 440 exhaust manifold, kerger performance pipe, and have not decided on 38mm or 44mm carb with k&n. The ski will be apart for a while so I will be able to repair and modify the body. I am guessing that i will have to try so different grates and ride plates to get the feel i want. I will fabricate some stabilizers if need be, or i will just go for it, i am a speed freak anyway.:emoticont

Comment

i cant beleive how much info there is for these online and on these forums. wow what a great tool. Thanks SBT and every member here!!

Comment

Our pleasure for providing the space - it's the members that make it what it is though!
                  SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                  We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                  Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Go with a 44 carb without a doubt!!! You will need as much fuel as possible with that setup. I also have a kerker pipe as well as a 44bn carb (piston port as well). The thing pulls better than my brothers 650sx, with better top speed too. You need to find yourself an Ocean Pro "O" (ocean) plate for that ski. They are the best plate at keeping the ski hooked to the water and keeping it stable at speeds.

SBT is an awesome site. When I first started here, I was a newbie with these dang 2 strokes... Now, after reading, learning and physically working on my own ski's, it's nice to be able to contribute back to the community that gave so much.
                    Dan Solie -
                    94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Get a light weight flywheel and true/weld your crank. Coffman exhaust made a great pipe for the 440/550 skis. Give Pam a call.

Comment

Working...
                      X