Weak spark on a 96 STS 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weak spark on a 96 STS 750

My '96 STS had a short holiday weekend. It ran great on Friday afternoon but after launching it Saturday (started on first crank) it died 50 feet from the boat dock while at idle speed and would not start again. I pulled the plugs and noticed they were wet with fuel. I laid each of the plugs on a head bolt and cranked the engine and didn't see any spark. I then took the plugs to my Sea Doo and did the same test and observed a nice, bright blue spark. The plugs from the Sea Doo don't spark when connected to the Kaw. I took an old lawn mower plug and put it in the Kaw and repeated the spark test and observed a faint spark. Resistance between the two plug caps reads 15.6K ohms.

Also, I took the Kill Switch apart and the contacts are clean and are working properly when the switch is cycled.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should test next to isolate the problem?

Re: Weak spark on a 96 STS 750

Found the problem! Inside the ignition box the purple wire had broken off of the contact in the Molex recepticle. After carefully removing the contact, cleaning it, soldering the wire back on, the motor fired right up. Wow, am I happy. I thought I would be tearing the stator apart trying to find the problem.

Comment

Working...
    X