Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SBT Engine Assembly - Kawi 1200

Hey Tech,

Well, I got my new SBT engine in on Monday and I've started the buildup. :D I'm never really sure when to use gasket sealant. The factory service manual says to use grease on the o-ring of the magneto cover (so I used black gasket / sealant) I don't follow directions very well. The manual didn't mention using anything to seal the oil pump so I used the black gasket/sealant from SBT. SBTs instructions said to use high-tack on all paper gaskets. I did use the high-tack on the gaskets when I cleaned/rebuilt the carb. Now I am ready to install the intake manifold. The service manual doesn't mention using any sealant at all on the base gasket, the reed valve assemblies or the other gasket that goes on top of the reed valve assembly. What should I do here? When I disassebled the engine, there didn't seem to be any sealant here either. What about on the carb gaskets? I bought some of the copper gasket spray to use on the exhaust manifold gaskets. Once again the manual doesn't say to use anything on the exhaust gaskets. What do you recommend?

By the way, the engine looks great. :emoticont Can't wait to get it back on the water. How much of the break-in can I do on the hose? Or should I just take it out to the lake and do it all there. It'll be running a long time on 10 gallons at low throttle.

Thanks
    Bobby C.
    2002 1200 STX-R (Running Great with New SBT Engine) :D

Re: New SBT Engine Assembly - Kawi 1200

The install guide details what to put where - high tack on the intake, copper on exhaust. It doesn't matter what you put on the mag o-ring. Read the break-in article - none of it can be done out of the water.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks Tech,

I don't mean to keep asking dumb questions but I just can't help myself. I've read, reread and read again the installation guide for the Kawasaki 1200 and in the step-by-step instructions it never mentions using any sealant or high-tack on any gaskets. The only place that mentions sealant is a short statement at the beginning of the instructions that state "It is SBT's recommendation that all paper gaskets be treated with Loctite High-Tack Gasket Sealer prior to installation." Now, on the intake, the base gasket may be made of paper, but the reed valve flange is plastic or rubber, then the outer gasket is some type of metal/paper/plastic composite material. If I follow the directions then I only put high-tack on both sides of the base (paper) gasket. Is that how you would interpret these instructions?

Thanks again and sorry for being so annoying. I just don't want to have any air leaks or anything else that would cause me to kill this engine and have to go through this process again.
      Bobby C.

Comment

The reed, carb base/manifold gaskets are paper. Coat them.

Comment

Ok. I finished the build and only had a few minor problems with the SBT engine:

1. There is, what I believe is, an oil drain plug in the crankcase located behind the coupler. This drain plug has to be almost flush with the crankcase in order to install the rear engine mount bracket. SBT sent it to me with the plug protruding out about 1/4". I was able to tighten it but it was very tight and would barely turn without using a pipe to provide some leverage on the allen wrench. And in the end I ended up stripping inside of the plug with the allen wrench. (I don't think I'll ever have to remove it - if so I'll have to drill it out).

2. The water connectors on the heads were turned the wrong direction (outward instead of towards the plugs). Easily fixed but it required removing and retightening a couple of the head bolts.

That's about it....I said it was minor. :o

Hey, does anybody know a trick to getting those damned rubber straps that hold the battery in the 2002 Kawi 1200 STX-R attached. I got a pretty good workout but couldn't get them hooked up.

Got 10 gallons of the 50:1 break-in oil mixture in the tank and as soon as I get the battery fixed (I somehow managed to lose the little threaded insert that slides into the positive battery terminal) I'm taking it to the lake to perform the break-in procedure. :emoticonc

Thanks for all of the help everyone. Hopefully I won't need anymore for a while.
          Bobby C.

Comment

I certainly appologize for the errors - I will note them to Production this morning.

You can dremel a slot in a long screw driver, the notch makes it easy to get the straps down.

Comment

That's a great idea, thanks Tech. The local battery place found a single battery insert and just gave it to me no charge so I'm headed to the lake this afternoon.

Have you had in the past, on this engine, any problems with overtourqueing the two long screws that hold the exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold. The service manual called out a torque of 22 ft lbs for the short screws but a torque of 36 ft lbs for the long screws. When I was trying to torque one of the long screw it made a very scary sounding cracking sound (like aluminum cracking). I backed it of and just left it alone. I couldn't feel or see any damage, but I don't really want to remove the exaust pipe again.
              Bobby C.

Comment

No I have not heard of any problems with that.

Comment

I think you are ok. That was most likely just the friction on the washer. I have had mine do it once in a while. Also I know of 2 cases where some one overtightened those bolts, and in both cases the bolts broke first so the pipe shouldn't be damaged.
                  Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
                  2002-1100STX DI
                  2004-15F
                  2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Whew, that's good...Maybe later sometime I'll pull the exhaust pipe to take a look...I also discovered that if you install the exhaust pipe before installing the flame arrestor cover it is almost impossible to insert and tighten the 2 very bottom flame arrestor cover bolts. So for now I just left them out. It seems that there are enough bolts to hold the cover on tight. The next time I remove the exhaust pipe, I'll install those 2 bolts before I reinstall the pipe. Do you see any problem or danger in leaving those bolts out for a little while?
                    Bobby C.

Comment

A little secret for future reference. The easiest way to take the F/A off with the pipe still on is remove both parts as one. Take the two clamps off the carbs and then pull the entire box off. Its best to put the pipe on first.
                      Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
                      2002-1100STX DI
                      2004-15F
                      2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Thanks Paul, I'll give that try. I took the ski out to the lake this weekend and performed the break-in procedure...Everything went great and at the end of the 2nd tank I was able to get it up to 62 mph.:emoticont It seems to be running great...Thanks SBT for a smooth engine swap. I would definitely recommend using SBT and I would buy from them again if I get a chance.Thanks, :emoticonw
                        Bobby C.

Comment

Working...
                        X