2001 STX DI Fuel Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 STX DI Fuel Filter

Any suggestion on a different fuel filter?
    I think I found part of my problem why my DI would quit running. I back flush the filter into a clear container an the gas was brown in color. I flushed the filter several times. I then tried to flush the filter correct flow and there seems to be resistance. I would like to change the filter to a manual flush valve. I pulled the fuel pump and it looked good and clean. I used Acetone to clean the screen.

Re: 2001 STX DI Fuel Filter

I would stay with the stock filter. Come on, your over 400 hrs.... Nothing wrong with that. Pull the old one out and cut it open. I would like to see some pictures of that! What did the screen look like? Did you have to remove the glove box, in order to remove the fuel pump? If so, how did you remove the nut on the backside of the orange security switch? I've been trying to remove that thing for the longest time (installing an electric bilge pump switch), but I can't see it without a mirror. Any tricks?
    2001 Kawasaki STX1100 DI (w/GroupK Stage 1)<br />1997 Sea-Doo GSX<br />2004 Kawasaki SX-R

Comment

Glen, thanks for you response.
      I have 414 hours on my DI now.
      I guess I will order a new fuel filter. In the service manual it states that the "The fuel filter is designed to be used throughout the watercraft's life without any maintenance if it is used under normal conditions". I have put 1,329.4496 gallons of gas in my DI tank. I think Kawasaki or Ficht should have design a fuel filter similar to the 2001,Yamaha 1200 XL. You can check for water or drain any sediment out.
      I got the software and cable today. I think I would like to get the Fuel Pressure Gauge Adapter: 57001-1463. I think it is important to know fuel pressure before making any adjustments. I noticed that after cleaning the fuel filter that the rpm's increased about 100.
      Something else that I did not mention in my other post about when the DI quit out in the water. When I pulled the spark plugs to check the compression, the plugs were very clean looking. Clean like if they had been washed? Is this what spark plugs can look like if there is water in the gas?

Comment

I read that in the manual, as well. I don't understand why Kawasaki doesn't specify a change interval. These filters can't possibly last forever. Gas station storage tanks always contain some type of sediment. I plan to change mine at 100 hrs., regardless. Have you looked at the filter for the Yamaha GP1300R or the newer VX's? Maybe one of these could be adapted?

Yeah, water will definately clean them up. You should be able to see small water droplets on the plugs if you look close. If you suspect water, it's probably a good idea to clean out the entire fuel system.
        2001 Kawasaki STX1100 DI (w/GroupK Stage 1)<br />1997 Sea-Doo GSX<br />2004 Kawasaki SX-R

Comment

Glen,
          Forgot to answer your question about removing the fuel pump? I did take the glove box off. The nut holding the on/off switch, I removed with my fingers.
          I fortunately, I did not remove all the gas from the tank. Today when riding and the fuel was low it quit. I put a couple of hours of riding since the last time it quit.
          I finally got the software and cable. I see they call for a lap top computer only. All the dealers that I have taken my DI for service use a regular PC.

Comment

You don't need a laptop. It's for liability reasons because laptops are mainly used under battery power. They specify that because some of the testing requires the engine to be running, while on the water hose. This prevents you from getting zapped if your connected to an ac outlet. I've used my desktop before without any problems. Now, I just bring my laptop home from work.

Comment

Working...
            X