Rebuild STS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuild STS

I bought a 95 STS that suppossedly ran when it was put up, owner said it was getting hot after a while. I will address that when after I get it running. My engine guy is going to pull the head off and look at the condition of engine componets to determine if we need to build head or entire engine. Can i increase the size of pistons while just replacing the heads? And if so how. I am looking to sell ski, but want it to run well. If I need to do a complete rebuild, I may keep it myself for my spare/towing/family ski, but would need more hp than the stock 80.

Thanks

Re: Rebuild STS

If you have to ask those kinds of questions (no offence) you aren't able to make the decisions needed to repair it. Take it to a local shop for inspection, they will tell you what it needs and what your options are. No one over the internet can tell you what you need without seeing it or you able to diagnose it.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

WHAT??? I am not repairing it, just asking a question about buying a product from SBT. If I wanted the crooked son a bitch who runs the local shop to have more money, i would just ride by and throw a check at him.

Nevermind, I'll send the pistons to NASA and have them analyzed by a super computer. IT IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!! If it has valves, pistons, and a crankshaft, my guy can repair it. SBT makes it easy for someone to avoid spending a a fortune to repair an engine. For $70 bucks an hour, I want a "happy ending" with my rebuild.

The engine is the hard metal thingy under the seat right?

Comment

OK, then I'll answer this way. No, you can not tell what you need by removing the heads. You can not measure the piston to cylinder clearance, see the sides of the pistons, see the under side, see the crank, inspect the bearings, inspect the rods, see the wrist pins, etc. No you most certainly can not perform any repairs such as 'increase the size of pistons' by removing the heads either.

A competent mechanic needs to tear it down for inspection, which is by no means equal to 'remove the head'.

Comment

Marshall,

I think you should trust the World's leading engine remanufactuers opinion (SBT).

Remember, NASA overall has a very high incident rate. They have crashed over 20 shuttles, rockets and capsules for a limtied amount of machines in play. If you want "happy ending" visit a massage parlor.

SBT knows what is going on.

Comment

After re-reading my original question, I think you misunderstood what I was asking, my fault, as it was a very vague question. What I meant was :

1. If I decide to go with an entire new top end, can I order a larger bore for a 750 straight from SBT, or do I have to order the bigger bore pistons and have the cylinders machined to match and rebuild that way?

I apologize for being such a smart ***, and I hope NASA will pay shipping back to NC.

Comment

If you do a cylinder exchange, you get whatever we have available at the time, which is usually 1.00mm oversize. No you can not choose a specific size. If you just do the top-end kit, yes you can choose any size, and the cylinder work is up to you.

Comment

Working...
              X