This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New motor likely needed...

Hi, it's been months since I've been on this forum. It's also been months since I've used my STX 1100, and I'm afraid I've lost the motor! It's still in the hull but it's locked SOLID! To make a long story short, it stayed about 8 months without being used, and I decided to spin the motor a bit. It turned with the starter without problems. When I finally returned to it, a further 4-5 months later, it had rusted solid. I've taken the cylinder head off, and dropped brake fluid into the cylinders, which has gone done the front and center cylinders, but won't go down the rear one.

I've taken the front bowl off, hoping to spin it with a big wrench on the flywheel. No go. I've fabricated a wooden plug, roughly 3" dia x 6" length, and I've used a big rubber hammer to try to pound the pistons free. This is after the oil had stayed in the cylinders for a week. Again, no go!

When I look inside the cylinders, they don't look that badly rusted, but I'll be dargon if I can free the crank and pistons.

Here is my situation: I have very little time as of late to use the Jet-Ski, and I've pretty much lost interest in it. If I could find a local buyer for the hull, I'd let it go as is, but it's not very likely to happen. People tend to want to buy things in working condition down here in Haiti (This is an assumption on my part, and I may be wrong). I think I have no choice but to fix it if I want to sell it.

Before putting in a whole new SBT motor, I'd like to see whether the motor can be saved with new rings, a hone job, and new seals and gaskets. It was running when I stopped using it. Evidently, some sea-water must've gotten in the rear cylinder or maybe all three.

The Big Question is, what could you guys suggest for me to be able to open this motor up, to find out the extent of the damages? I'd like to fix it for under $500 if at all possible, to sell it.

Thanks for any advice, it's appreciated.

Gigi
    No more Jet-Ski's for this boy...

Re: New motor likely needed...

You need a new engine. I don't know why you went through all the trouble when you knew it was rusted. Freeing it up doesn't men you can use it again.

The SBT Forums are for SBT Product Support ONLY. For all general PWC support/discussion, please post on www.pwctoday.com.

Thank you - SBT Mgt.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
    X