Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SBT Kawi STX 1100 1997

Hi All,
    New to the Forums here but not to watercraft, I have used SBT products for years and have had excellent results. I have a situation here that I can seem for the life of me to be able to figure out. I have been working on watercraft for years and have never ran into a situation like this before, I have a put in a brand new Kawi SBT 1100 in a 1997 STX and have checked everything as I always do prior to a engine exchange..The old engine was a granade the front cylinder and rod so I tried to track down why, so, I checked : Pump cooling lines,pullled carbs apart:Cleaned & Rebuilt and set to spec,Stator cooling lines replaced with clear lines to check cooling,Oil pump bled & Lines all good and run where there supposed to be.

The only thing I found was there was a lot of sand in the lines and cooling passages,cleaned and flushed out...So My dilima...

The Pipe gets cool but the cylinders and head get too hot to touch and I am afraid to keep running it in the fact that it very well may lock up.I have tried the hose on full blast,on half way and to right down to a trickle and they still run hot...

I have water out the Rt side pisser,out the waterbox, and the Exhaust, from manifold to the stator and out the incoming cooling lines.I have pinched off both incoming cooling and drain as you do to winterize and I still have horrible heat coming off the cylinders.

The only thing that I can think of is that I used OEM Kawi gaskets on the exhaust ports..All of them: Manifold to Cyl and Exp-chamber to head pipe.

Any thoughts????

Re: New SBT Kawi STX 1100 1997

It's hard to judge an overheat without being there - but the 1100 is one of the hottest runnign engines and it's very common for people to think they are overheating, especially on the hose, which makes it even hotter. All you can do is make sure the lines are clear and the pump is in good condition - it should be fine.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks Admin, I am going to back the ski in the water and try cooling through the pumps incoming line...If that doesnt seem to work I am going to check to see if my oil pump in giving me what its supposed to..I have 50:1 in the tank w/93 octane which should help a little...

Comment

Hello again,I wanted to let all you guys in Tech support know that the issue I had is resolved..I have never ran into this before but there is always a first for everything,I found that the front cylinder was running extremely hot due to the level of the ski....I know what your saying!!! HUH??? I usually have the skis on the stand when I first throw them on the hose but I needed the stand and threw the ski back on the trailer and had the tongue pointed skyward and I guess there wasnt enough water being supplied to the front cylinder.So,To prove the issue I put the tongue in the ground and as I suspected the rear cylinder got just as hot..Again,Im not talking a little warm,Im saying so hot that with a layer of laytex gloves on, 2 seconds was the max before my fingers started to bake.
        Leveled out she runs as it should on the hose and is scheduled to go in the water this week for break-in...Thanks again...

Comment

Interesting...my first guess would be a lack of water flow from the hose, although I have not personally tested various angles during a flush with a Kawi 1100. I have done so with many other engines, and it's not an issue.

But I will be sure to ask about that when others call/email/post about it, because it is a very common concern/question! Thanks for the update, very appreciated :)
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
          X