2000 Kawasaki 1100 zxi electrical went dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Kawasaki 1100 zxi electrical went dead

I have a 2000 Kawasaki 1100 ZXI that has a SBT engine with about 1.5 tanks of gas through it. Son was untying it from dock and leaned and hit the start switch. started the engine and he abruptly pulled the kill switch. The engine quit like normal. Put the harness back on the kill switch and pushed the start button and nothing. I turned the power switch off then on and noticed some things out of the ordinary. Turn the power on fuel guage does not move, neither of the orange lights come on and I think they used to. The only thing that works is the KATS guage and KATS trim switch.
    I got another kill switch from same model on EBAY and tried it but nothing.
    I do have the schematic on my model also.
    It was extremely reliable until this happened. It only had about an hour on it this year, nothing has gotten wet inside the jetski and we are still breaking in the engine. Looking for any suggestions. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: 2000 Kawasaki 1100 zxi electrical went dead

Anybody have any ideas
    I need to winterize this thing
    Help

Comment

Start with the fuses... You can get to them by twisting off the black cover on top of the electrical box in the back of the ski. If you still have the oil tank in there it is underneath that.

Comment

Re: 2000 Kawasaki 1100 zxi electrical went dead NEED HELP!!!

On thE 2000 1100 zxi, Does anyone know what gauges and lights come on when the switch is turned to on. When I turn this one on my KATS trim guage comes and and the trim works. I think my fuel guage used to come on, but now does not. I also think my 2 orange lights come on but I am not sure if that happened after it was started. Can someone let me know what all works when the ignition is turned on' thanks

Comment

Ok checked fuses and they were fine. Started tracing wires using my schematic and have 12 + volts everywhere I am supposed to have it. puzzling was 12 volts going to fuel guage at the connection but no reading on that guage. This is what I did yesterday which somehow got everyhting to go right temporarily'
          First I undid the electrical box to check grounds. Was looking at the connection at the starter relay to see if any breaks in wires. Accidentally shorted my 2 positives on the relay and the engine turned over. I was checking the ground in this box and started looking at the connections in the box, moving things around. I undid both the air sensor and temperature sensor and checked them and everything was fine. Plugged them back in. At this point I turned the ignition on to check something else and everything worked that had not before. Not sure what I had done to solve it. Started to winterize it and the following happened. Started it , turned hose on trickle and idled for about 5 minutes to get treated fuel in carb. Killed it useing the stop switch. Now started 2 more times and the second time could not stop it by pushing the stop switch or by pulling lanyard. Had to kill it by turning ignition off. At this point I was back to the same old problem, No oil or water light, no fuel guage and no starter all when ignition is turned on. . I did have all power to the trim system though, Went inside for 10 - 15 minutes and it all came back and and worked fine . I am wondering if the kill switch could be bad but that does not make alot of sense. Could it be the ignitor, or trim control module. I do have the schematic and can post it on a website if someone wants to look over it. I am not sure how the ignitor works . Also was tracing the grounds and see maybe one in the magneto may be suspect. Only thing is if that ground was bad would engine stay running or would turning off ignition kill the engine. Any and all help is appreciated. Jet ski is put away for winter but am still going to study the problem and try things as I can. Also can the magneto be pulled while engine is in jetski.

Comment

Working...
          X