Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2000 ZXI 1100 SBT engine cold water siezure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 ZXI 1100 SBT engine cold water siezure?

I took a 1100 ZXI for a water test today, (first one of the season) I live in Mass. and the water is cold still.....Im looking for some opinions.
    I let the ski warm up for a few minutes, then got right on the throttle. After riding for about 10 minutes, the ski shut off suddenly, at about 3/4 to full throttle. Now the water temp was about 45 deg. And the tank is premixed. This ski also has an SBT motor in it that was installed in Nov. of 05. (it only really has about 20hrs on it)

After it shut off I started it right back up again, and it ran fine, for a few minutes, and I decided to make another WOT pass. It shut down again....

It started back up fine and after about a minute or so it began running only on 2 cylinders. I got it back in the shop, and found only 80lbs of compression in the Center cylider.... My question is would the center cylinder cold seize before the PTO cylinder??? There was a small area that was burned away on the piston on the exhaust side. I pulled the engine all down, and also opened up the carbs, but they were very clean. Im just not sure what else would cause the center cylinder to burn down like that. The ski was in for a charging issue, ended up replacing the reg rectifer, and customer requested a water test. Putting a new piston in is no big deal, I just don't want it happening again. Perhaps I should of been on and off the throttle a little more, and I did noticed after putting it back on the trailer, and feeling the engine, it wasn't very warm at all. Any opinions guys? Maybe a dope slap?....... Thanks!

Re: 2000 ZXI 1100 SBT engine cold water siezure?

The cylinder with the burn mark on the center of the piston is running way to lean, Fuel also keeps the cylinder cool, with out the correct fuel being supplied to the engine, the cylinder temp will begin to elevate to the point of melt down. Check your carbs out and see if your pop-off is correct and that you don’t have sticky needle and seats or fuel restrictions.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      The top of the cylinder is not burned, its the side with the exhaust. It deffinately got hot! I attached a pic just to show others...
      Attached Files

Comment

Well after installing a new piston and running ski on the hose with air box off, I could see the vacuum valves in the Pto and Mag carb working properly, and wouldn't you know the center cylinder (the one with the new piston) the vacuum valve AKA "carb slide" was not moving....... I urge all people with a jet ski that has CV carbs to remove air box and make sure the valves are opening and closing with each pull of the throttle. I melted down this cylinder because of it... It is a very easy task to check out!!! The ski ran great before the piston lean siezed...there were NO WARNINGS.... Thank you SBT for telling me to double check the carbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X