97 ZXI 1100 I need clarification on carb setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 ZXI 1100 I need clarification on carb setting

Ok, so I have searched just about every thread that deals with Carb settings. I am having a problem (even after a rebuild of all 3 carbs) of stalling. Ski runs good at idle and seems to be ok revving on the trailer, but under load if I snap the throttle it wants to die. At WOT is great and ski is fast but you have to "feather" the throttle to get it to go. I checked the needles last night and I think they were WAY out of wack. It was late when I finished and didnt try to start it yet. The setting that I have them at now are as follows.

Main Jet needle: (the one at top of carb that has thumb screw) 3/4 turns out

Slow Jet Needle: (at the very bottom of carb that you have to use a small screwdriver to adjust) 1 1/4 turn out.

Like I said, i havent tried to run it yet cause it was about 10 at night when i got done and dont think the neighbors would appreciate me firing it up.
    Last edited by oneboss302; 05-21-2009, 08:32 AM.

Re: 97 ZXI 1100 I need clarification on carb setting

The 96 book shows 1-1/8 out on the lows and 1 + or -1/4 for the highs
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Did you fix the problem ?

Comment

Hey thanks for responding. Well it is definatly BETTER but not great. it will still bog bad until I hit 4k rpm. I think im just going to be looking for new carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by oneboss302 View Post
          Ski runs good at idle and seems to be ok revving on the trailer, but under load if I snap the throttle it wants to die. At WOT is great and ski is fast but you have to "feather" the throttle to get it to go.

I am having the EXACT same problem. This is on a new motor and just breaking in this week the past couple of days.

Lo Speed set at 1 1/8

Hi Speed set at 1 1/4

This is set to the closest to my knowledge. Is it possible I may have the Lo speed set higher then the 1 1/8 turns. Would this cause that? It appears that I am running rich, which is fine since I am breaking in, but it is annoying that I can't grab the throttle and go.

Carbs have been rebuilt, pop off set, and all new fuel lines installed too.

Should I try backing them back a smidge at a time? Bad thing is I have to take the carbs off every time I make an adjustment since I don't have the tuning knobs. Any tips on to do this keeping the carbs on too?

-Thanks

Comment

Has this boats Carbs sat with gas in them ?

If the mixture screws are correct you may have lacquer buildup in the pilot jet..

I use Chemtool B-12 in the spray can to remove this funk..

Running a boat with this conditon may seize the engine, have seen this occur especially with outboard 6 cyl engines as the cyl running super lean is not as noticable.

Open up the Low speed screw some more, too much fuel won't harm the engine.

You can try removing the low screw and inserting the Chemtool's spray tube and giving it a shot.

DrVette

Comment

To Smoke20

Grabbing the throttle and getting nothing is never too rich.

Comment

The carbs have been thoroughly cleaned and rebuilt and all fuel and primer lines replaced. So no gas was ever sitting in them.

Comment

Working...
                X