1988 JS 650 sx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 JS 650 sx

First, please excuse my ignorance in all of this. I have recently inherited a free 650 from my brother in law. he had given it up for dead. it sat for several years and now it is mine. i am quickly learning that i will be getting to know a lot about fixing these things.

initially, i got it started after some new plugs and a new battery. along with starting fluid and a lot of patience. when it ran it ran strong. then every weekend we would charge the battery and again with some starting fluid and some more patience it would eventually fire up.

we were able to run some clean gas through it with an additive so i am certain all of the old gas is gone.

now here come the problems. leaving every weekend, i told the neighbor kid it was okay if he ran it now and again to keep it going. as long as it was run consistently, it seemed to fire up and run just fine. it was the week spans btw starts that were the killers.

according to him, he had it out one day and it stopped working / wouldnt start after having dumped it one time. he had to swim it in and they werent able to fire it again.

now, when i try to start it, there are a few things that are new/different which i am hoping someone can help me figure out.

first of all, it just does not want to fire at all. even when i put starting fluid in it. even if it didnt want to take off prior to this, when i put in the start fluid it would at least fire momentarily as it burned the fluid off. now nothing. ? ? ? i did finally get it going one time but it was only when i pinned the throttle and held it, and the ski wouldnt even plane out, just drug me around on my belly in the starting position till it died and i had to swim it in.

secondly, it is backfiring when i try to start it and it has never done that before. basically sputters and pops exhaust out now and again when trying to start it.

Any ideas what has happened? the kid said he just dumped it as normal nothing major. no submarine or any swamping.

also, i took the carb apart a little bit to see what it looked like. again let me remind you i have no idea what i am doing in this, just learning as i go. but to me, the inside of the carb that i saw was clean and shiney. i was expecting some sort of gunky mess, but it was shiney and clean. at least as far as i took it apart. basically took the diaphram off and that was about it.

what is it supposed to look like, how do i tell if it is dirty, and what is the flame arrestor supposed to look like. the flame arrestor is all dark and black, and has little bits of paint chips stuck to it that have flaked off the engine. this is like the air filter right ? ? i guess it is suposed to be clean, can i soak this and or blow it out with compressed air or something? and would this help anything?

please respond in a dummy proof manner. if you tell me names of parts i can look at diagrams and figure it all out, but bear in mind i am learing about this on the fly and with a little help from my internet friends. thanks for any help, and please give me any additional info or pointers as you see fit. thanks again.
Working...
X