'97 900 STX Water in Cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '97 900 STX Water in Cylinders

I was just looking at a '97 900 STX that my son was interested in buying. Supposedly, the previous owner had some work done on it within the last couple of years that involved a Wiseco piston (set?) and gasket set. When the seller hooked water to it and started it, it started right up, but just didn't sound right. I noticed the front cylinder felt a little warmer than the other two, but not overly hot. The middle and rear cylinder were cool to the touch. I didn't have a compression gauge with me. When I pulled the number 1 and 2 spark plug wires off one at a time, the engine died both times, but when I removed the number three wire, it continued to run. When I grounded the plug (number 3) and turned it over, it had fire. As I accelerated the throttle with all three plugs hooked up, it kinda bogged a bit before it "caught up" and then revved OK. I removed the number 3 plug and turned the engine over and water shot out of the spark plug hole. When I removed the other two plugs and cranked it again, water shot out of them as well. Any thoughts on a cause other than a blown head gasket? I assume there would have to be some head damage (cracked) to cause the gasket to blow.

Re: '97 900 STX Water in Cylinders

If the garden hose is hooked up to the engine and flowing water the engine MUST be running, Never turn the engine off 1st then the water or you will end up with water in the cylinders. Engine always needs to be running before water is sent into the motor and then the water must be turned off before engine is shut down.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Re: '97 900 STX Water in Cylinders

How come the engine can get water in it not running first before adding water? It seems like a risky design if thats the case.

Comment

Working...
      X