questions on my new SBT engine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions on my new SBT engine...

Hi, I am running a new SBT engine on my 1995 sts 750 kawasaki, and i am still trying to insure I am tuning it correctly...

I have gone to premix and thought I was to use a 40:1 premix ration, but then read elsewhere on this sight that Kawasaki's use 50:1?

It would be useful to know what kind of rpm's I should expect from this engine when running correctly; right now it will do about 5900 at WOT, and its not changing as I continue to turn the high speed adjuster in...But I may still be rich, I am 7/8 turns out, factory spec is 3/4 turns out, plus or minus 1/4 turn.

Would I expect a jump in rpms when getting close to the right setting? Reading the plugs is not as easy as presented, I have done the 20 second WOT runs, and it is just not clear what I am seeing, we have only methanol gas down here and perhaps that is affecting what I am seeing. thanks for any comments.

Re: questions on my new SBT engine...

40:1 is the best choice, How is your ski running otherwise? Has the ski ever had the impeller changed?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Re: questions on my new SBT engine...

Originally posted by Technical Support View Post
      40:1 is the best choice, How is your ski running otherwise? Has the ski ever had the impeller changed?
      No, I dont think the impeller has ever been touched, but I was assuming (but dont know) that a worn impeller/wear ring would promote higher rpm with less thrust.

Shortly before my last engine disintergrated (bad fuel pump diaphram, I think) it was turning just a shade under 6100 rpm, so i know the potential is there unless a lean engine on the verge of blowing will turn higher revs...

So, i started the high speed adjustement at 1 and 1/4 turn out..Looked wet and oily, and rich. Factory spec is either 3/4 turn out for a 95, or 1 1/8 turn out for a 96. (mine is titled a 95, who knows for sure...) At 1 and 1/8 it was no longer wet but had black goo on it, and from there I just could not get much of a read on the 20 second WOT test. I look at the pics and see nice rich coloring, but I am just not seeing that on my plugs-I don't see much of anything but some small specs of the black goo.

It runs well right now, but just does not seem to have much top end grunt. I am still wondering if finding the magic spot will suddenly yield a couple of extra hundred rpm and noticable power, or not- otherwise i might just leave where I know its rich. thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
      X