Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop off testing in 1996 Kawasaki 900 zxi

Hi
    I am new to forums, but a friend told me to check them out and ask questions. I just rebuilt my carburator Keihin and I was looking through the videos and tech area to see if there's a way to do a "pop off" test and I found one, but the way they insert the tool into an orifice in the carburator to do the test I cannot do because I don't have a similar orifice. Can someone help please? Do I really need to do this test?
    THanks

Victor

Re: Pop off testing in 1996 Kawasaki 900 zxi

I'm assuming you have the cdcv carbs as I do. If so then its really a pain . I seperated the carbs and put the air pressure into the inlet while blocking off the other holes. I'm never gonna do it that way again.
    Here's an idea. Remove the pump from the third carb. Somehow block off the outlet hole. Blow air into the inlet hole. Remove the float /diaphram covers from all three carbs hold the needle down on the 2 carbs ur not checking while blowing in the air.

Edit: don't even bother doing the test if you don't know what the pressure should be and don't bother asking sbt cause yiul get a different answer everyday you call. Maybe call kawasaki.

Comment

Thanks for responding. No, I have the Keihin CDK2 series carburator, but I can't seem to find a removable fuel filter (like they show in the video) to remove it and put the air pressure hose into it.
      Since I rebuilt the carb, I was told to do the test.

Not sure if you know, but the main reason why I was doing this is because I lost about 50% power last two times I took it out and they told me to rebuild the carb; however, today I just found a large (50cent piece size) hole in a rubber hose that hooks up the muffler with the exhaust system of the motor and I wonder if that could have caused it. Not sure.
      Thanks

Victor

Comment

Originally posted by Kawasaki_Vic View Post
        Thanks for responding. No, I have the Keihin CDK2 series carburator, but I can't seem to find a removable fuel filter (like they show in the video) to remove it and put the air pressure hose into it.

Not sure if you know, but the main reason why I was doing this is because I lost about 50% power last two times I took it out and they told me to rebuild the carb; however, today I just found a large (50cent piece size) hole in a rubber hose that hooks up the muffler with the exhaust system of the motor and I wonder if that could have caused it. Not sure.
        Thanks

Victor
        Anyone out there that can answer?
        What about sbt technical support?

Comment

Thanks

Victor
          Well even if there not cdcv maybe they are similar. Theres only one plate to remove on my carbs. The carbs on the video you saw have 2 plates. One plate is the diaphram side with the needle and seat. The other side has the fuel filter. Like I said mine only has the one side with the diaphram . If yours is like this than do this.

leave the carbs together dont seperate them.

Take off all 3 diaphrams.

Take off the fuel pump which is on the one carb towards the rear of the craft.

You should have 4 holes now on the side of the carb you took the pump off of. Figure out which one is the inlet, block off the other 3. I blocked em off with a piece of flat styrafoam , a large washer pushing the styrafoam, and needle nose vice grips holding this contraption. (it did leak a bit but thats ok)

Now. To test one carb at a time. What I did was I layed a large 3/4 drive socket on the needles of the 2 carbs I was not testing. This worked perfect.

I just got done doing this. I set all my pop offs down tp 20 from 50 and now my ski runs again! Once again thanks SBT Tech for telling me to set it at 55-65 and making me almost toast my new engine I just bought off you !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Thrillseeker View Post
            Well even if there not cdcv maybe they are similar. Theres only one plate to remove on my carbs. The carbs on the video you saw have 2 plates. One plate is the diaphram side with the needle and seat. The other side has the fuel filter. Like I said mine only has the one side with the diaphram . If yours is like this than do this.

leave the carbs together dont seperate them.

Take off all 3 diaphrams.

Take off the fuel pump which is on the one carb towards the rear of the craft.

You should have 4 holes now on the side of the carb you took the pump off of. Figure out which one is the inlet, block off the other 3. I blocked em off with a piece of flat styrafoam , a large washer pushing the styrafoam, and needle nose vice grips holding this contraption. (it did leak a bit but thats ok)

Now. To test one carb at a time. What I did was I layed a large 3/4 drive socket on the needles of the 2 carbs I was not testing. This worked perfect.

I just got done doing this. I set all my pop offs down tp 20 from 50 and now my ski runs again! Once again thanks SBT Tech for telling me to set it at 55-65 and making me almost toast my new engine I just bought off you !!!!!

Thrillseeker, thanks for trying to help, but I still can't figure out where to put the hose for pop off tool to test. There is a fuel filter in the unit, but it is below the N&S and if I take that part out, I would have to take off the N&S and then I can't test.

I wish someone would show me the procudures for testing "pop off pressure" on a CDK2 carb. The videos I have seen on this site do not apply to my carburetor.

Where are SBT tech people?

Comment

Vic,

I have the EXACT same problem that you have. I have a 1995 and a 1996 Kawasaki 900 ZXI. The 1996 is a parts ski, so I've been trying to test the pop-off pressure on its carbs before I screw something up on my "running" ski.

Both of my skis have the CDK II carbs that you seem to have as well.

I know that this is "the blind leading the blind" here, but I think I may have figured it out.

Here's what I did.

I removed the diaphragm plate that covers the Needle and Seat Assembly.
              I unscrewed the screw that holds the needle assembly down so that I could remove the needle.
              I sprayed WD-40 down into the seat and re-inserted the needle.
              I hooked my pop-off pressure gauge to the fuel inlet on the opposite side(side closest to the engine) of the carburetor. (I've read where it can throw your readings off on certain carbs to pump through the fuel pump, but I don't know what else to do.)
              I blocked off the return line with my finger and ran the test.
              There's a definite point at which the needle and seat give way. For me,...on the one carb that I checked...I was sitting at 29psi.

What's odd to me is that if I want to run the test again, I have to remove the needle and spray WD-40 into the seat again. (...for each time I want to run the test.)

I'm still looking to see if it affects the readings to go through the fuel pump on the CDKII. Let me know if you find anything as well.

Thanks,
              Seth

Comment

Victor,

I found this discussion that suggests connecting the pop-off pressure gauge to the filter side of the seat. (...after removing the filter.)

http://www.shopsbt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10090

That's a much more direct approach. I'm going to try that.

Seth

Comment

Originally posted by sethpoche View Post
                  Victor,

I found this discussion that suggests connecting the pop-off pressure gauge to the filter side of the seat. (...after removing the filter.)

http://www.shopsbt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10090

That's a much more direct approach. I'm going to try that.

Seth

__________________________________________________ _______
                  Seth, first of all, thank you very much for replying and trying to help.

I wanted to let you know that I rebuilt my carbs (all three) and did NOT use the N&S that came with the kit. I used the same spring and N&S that were already in the carbs because they looked good. I didn't do a "pop off test" yet to just see what happened.

As I was putting back the jet ski together I noticed a 3-4 inch crack (which could be pushed into a hole) in one of the rubber pieces of the exhaust that connects the pipe to the exhaust manifold. I ordered a new one ($24 ridiculous) and put it all together and fired it up this past weekend. It purrs like a kitten at idle. I now have to take it to the lake to see if it has power at the high speeds where it used to bog down. I read somewhere in one of the forums that the same thing happened to someone else and they lost power when they hit the throttle. It makes sense since my flame arrestor pieces had alot of soot and junk on them; I cleaned them thoroughly as well.

I will let you know how it rides; not sure if it will be this weekend or next.

Can you let me know if your test works? Also, please let me know your pop off readings.
                  Thanks again and good luck

Victor

Comment

__________________________________________________ _______
                    Seth, first of all, thank you very much for replying and trying to help.

I wanted to let you know that I rebuilt my carbs (all three) and did NOT use the N&S that came with the kit. I used the same spring and N&S that were already in the carbs because they looked good. I didn't do a "pop off test" yet to just see what happened.

As I was putting back the jet ski together I noticed a 3-4 inch crack (which could be pushed into a hole) in one of the rubber pieces of the exhaust that connects the pipe to the exhaust manifold. I ordered a new one ($24 ridiculous) and put it all together and fired it up this past weekend. It purrs like a kitten at idle. I now have to take it to the lake to see if it has power at the high speeds where it used to bog down. I read somewhere in one of the forums that the same thing happened to someone else and they lost power when they hit the throttle. It makes sense since my flame arrestor pieces had alot of soot and junk on them; I cleaned them thoroughly as well.

I will let you know how it rides; not sure if it will be this weekend or next.

Can you let me know if your test works? Also, please let me know your pop off readings.
                    Thanks again and good luck

Victor
                    Took jet ski to lake this past weekend and it runs like a "bat out of hell". I think it was not the carburetor, but the hole in the exhaust hose that was the problem. However, since I put in a new fuel filter, rebuilt the carbs, put in new plugs, and changed the hose, I won't really know if that was the 100% cause.

Too bad that SBT never answered any of my questions on this forum.

Victor

Comment

Working...
                    X