Kawasaki 750 sts runs great but lacks power, would like to test fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawasaki 750 sts runs great but lacks power, would like to test fuel pump

Last year i bought a 1995 kawa 750 sts and a 1996 Polaris slt 700, both 3 seater skis. I put new sbt engines in both, and have just now completed the break ins on both.
    Compression is about the same on both, 120psi. cleaned takes, new fuel lines, sbt carb kits, fuel pumps, the works. The Polaris 700 at factory carb settings runs like a rocket with no additional tuning, great plug color, great piston wash, and gobs of power.

The Kawasaki 750 sts on the other hand runs like an electic motor, perfectly smooth, never misses, never bogs, but is a complete dog, and has a tough time reaching plane with two riders, and with one rider will turn about 5700 rpm only. The polaris has so much more power that I have to think the kawa is having some problem, but it starts and runs great, it is just weak (especially compared to the Polaris) through the entire range.

I have the low needles out about 1.2 turns, and the highs about 2.5 which is way beyond factory specs but I am very concerned about lean fuel condition and dont want to explode the engine. plugs come out wet, top of pistons are greenish and wet but dont look like the Polaris wash at all. I am concerned the fuel pump may not be pumping up to spec, is there a procedure to measure the return line output of fuel, or some other test to verify fuel pump pressure? Carbs have stock springs and are shiny clean, by the way. Also, what kind of top end rpm should I expect? thanks.

Re: Kawasaki 750 sts runs great but lacks power, would like to test fuel pump

No idea whats wrong.

Could be not getting enough air,

could be a problem with the jet pump. Did you check it when you had the engine apart?

That ski should plane no problem and hit about 45 mph ( we used to rent those out at our marina). Like any 2 cycle 5700 RPM is nothing. I would think you should hit 8-9 K RPM

Comment

Re: Kawasaki 750 sts runs great but lacks power, would like to test fuel pump

Well I did look at the pump a bit but I am assuming that pump or plateproblems would result in a ski that would rev high but not have good forward motivation, like a car with a slipping clutch. My ski hooks up and goes smoothly but is weak across the entire range and maxes out at about 5600rmp...

Comment

Working...
      X