03 1100zxi piston detonation questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 03 1100zxi piston detonation questions

Rebuilt 03 1100zxi, running premix, worked great for 2 months of fun. Then, I noticed top of cylinder cover over front cylinder getting a slight bronze look and also spark plug seemed to have loosened. Tighened it and found front-most cylinder head nut was loose. Retourqued plug and all nuts to spec and seemed to perform good. Then, after 2 sessions checked and found front-most and next nut over loose again. Retourqued and had the front bolt/stud pull out of threads. Planning to helicoil so pulled cylinder head cover and found front piston looks like detonation along with dome on cylinder cover over that piston really dinged up. Looking at piston photos on SBT site I see mention that a air leak could cause this. Questions:
    1.Should I assume the loosened cylinder head cover nuts and/or rattled-loose spark plug be the source of the air leak that caused the detonation
    2.Can dome on cover be sanded down to smooth or does it have to be replaced
    3. Is lock-tite on cylinder head bolts advised, how about lock-washers
    4. Any issue with replacing the acorn nuts with regular nuts (I ask because I think the stud stripped out because the acorn nuts bottomed out as the studs, resulting in it spinning the stud itself)
    5. Can I reuse cylinder cover gasket or are these on-time use

Re: 03 1100zxi piston detonation questions

1= yes
    2= no pitting will only cause hot spots and damage the new piston.
    3= loc tite is fine but they came loose from detonation.
    4= you can replace them, but you might not have to, tighten the studs back down into the case and they should work with the acorn nuts.
    5= no replace the gasket.
    The detonation could be caused by the carb running too lean or an air leak or the cooling hose to the front cover down to the exhaust pipe is clogging up, check these things.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Can you claify answer #2... Can I sand/grind down the dings to the dome of the cylinder head cover or does it need to be replaced?
      If I can refurbish, what would you use (sandpaper, dremel, ?)
      Thanks very much

Comment

No, you cant use it, you will need to locate another one.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
        X