Blown 900 ZXi cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown 900 ZXi cylinder

Have had a 1996 900 ZXi since new and never had a issue other than the famous water leak into trim box issue. 16yr old son started riding it lately and not so good about watching items like oil in the tank....For some reason the oil and temp lights quit working and still wont. Checked the bulbs and they are fine but wont light with key on or when triggered. Needless to say he ran it without oil and blew a cylinder and really tore up the piston. Is it worth it to repair this with a top end kit seeing its 15 yrs old? Ski is in great shape other than this and always stored in a garage when not in use but I know new technology has created some nice skiis...Cost to repair is much less than a new one but how hard is it to do? I do have all the tools but would need a ring compressor to set the pistons in the sleeves.Is the cost worth half the value of the ski in the long run?

That is not a hole in the piston but a burn mark that creates the illusion of a hole in the pic..... Sorry for picture sizing...couldn't get them even.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4715 (Small).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	256407Click image for larger version

Name:	900-4 (Small).jpg
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	256408

Re: Blown 900 ZXi cylinder

I've rebuilt lots of these, I always feel it is wothwhile. Make sure no pieces got into the crankcase and make sure everything else (connecting rods, etc) feels good. I'm doing a 900 right now. I just squeeze the rings with my hands, I've never used ring compressors, don't own them. I get the SBT pistons and them hand them to the man at the machine shop and I always get a good fit. Hard to say what size you should go with, got to check how deep the scratches are. SBT also has cylinder exchange if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

If the ski is in good condition then it is worth fixing, Like Ashpapi said just make sure the crank is clean from metal particles and it would be a good idea to split the case , clean, inspect the crank and replace the crank seals. Since the ski has been sitting for a while it would be a good idea to clean out the carbs too.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Its only been apart for 2 weeks or so and I sprayed the engine with 2 cycle oil before I wrapped it all up just in case. Looks like I will look into rebuilding the top end as the ski is in great shape otherwise. Will also inspect the bottom end real well as I already knew the small metal pieces went somewhere. Thanks for the suggestions and tips and I will probably be posting when I get the parts and get it all apart and then back together.

Thanks guys

Comment

glad to hear it. where I live, I am the "dinosaur" holding onto 1990's 2 cycle skis. The local shop will divert all customers to 4 cycle. actually won't even touch some, especially Tigersharks and kawasakis. thats how I stay busy. the tech guys are great telling you to split the case and check everything. and the carb tip is good as well. take care

Comment

Well its been almost a yr and I`m finally starting the rebuild. A few weeks after I posted this I tore my knee all to pieces and 3 surgeries later just starting to get around again where I can bend and twist easily.
            Took the head to a shop and they had to go 1.0mm on the cylinders since the number 1cyl was scored/scratched so bad. I was hoping for the 0.5mm max but its done so no big deal. I will be pulling the oil pump and doing premix this time around for extra insurance. Now just have to order the top end kit as well as a few other gaskets and seals so I can replace everything when I pull lower end apart and clean. Coupler I can get off but is there any DIY at home ways to get flywheel off or should take to shop and have them do it for me the right way?? Got to get it off or no seals are going in that side for sure......

Also is it normal for a engine mounting plate to NOT have any shims under it as in the parts diagrams? Mine didnt have any when I took it apart on any corner....
            Last edited by Phyxius1; 06-28-2012, 08:49 PM.

Comment

You should have purchased the pistons first, because now you dont know if the 1.00 over pistons will be the correct size and have the correct clearance for your bore. Always give the machineshop the pistons 1st and have them measure then bore. Some engines maynot require shims on the mounts and we do sell flywheel pullers for your flywheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support View Post
                You should have purchased the pistons first, because now you dont know if the 1.00 over pistons will be the correct size and have the correct clearance for your bore. Always give the machineshop the pistons 1st and have them measure then bore. Some engines maynot require shims on the mounts and we do sell flywheel pullers for your flywheel.
                Already had that in mind and knew about it from YRS of 4 wheeler motors and a few built Chevy big blocks.... They started to bore it out and just below the spec for .5mm over the scratch in number 1 cylinder was still very there. They proceeded to go up more and just before total bore at 1mm over spec the scratch was now not visible. They called and let me know what size pistons I would need before they finished the bore/hone so they could match the cylinders to the individual pistons. If I had bought .5mm over and the scratches required 1.0 or 1.5 oversize bore I would have been out of luck and requiring exchange. I was hoping to keep it within .5mm over specs but didn't work that way. Its a great speed-shop that I have dealt with for over 25 yrs now and never had an issue doing it this way.....

I appreciate the concern though on doing it. This is the first PWC I have had to tear apart though and wasn't sure about the shims but will check the gaps on reinstall. Have a order all set to place later today for the puller, top end kit, exhaust gasket kit, flywheel gasket and etc since its a complete tear down now. Wish the PWC`s used the same pullers as cars as I have lots of those...LOL
                Last edited by Phyxius1; 07-15-2012, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Sounds good then.

Comment

Parts all arrived today and the pistons dropped off at the machine/speed shop so they can finish bore and hone to match the cylinders to pistons. Only thing I did not order and was wondering what the equivalents would be ( or need oem exact stuff ) for the following:

Silicone Sealant for the threads-- Kawasaki 56019-120
                    Kawasaki Bond 92104-1003 --- COULD Hondabond HT or The right Stuff be used in its place??

Not sure what is safe with PWC blocks/motors

I have all the thread locker in Blue and Green I could need already for the bolts. As you can see everything is ready to go..

Thanks

All ready to go Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1751 (Small).JPG
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	254122
                    Last edited by Phyxius1; 07-14-2012, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X