900 stx compression problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 900 stx compression problem

First, thank you for your time. A few summers ago I bought a top end kit from SBT for my 900 stx (2000) and installed it doing everything as prescribed. I was able to run it the first summer for only about an hour before storing it for the next summer. Next summer, I ran it for about 15 minutes and it lost power and turned off and continued doing so every time I restarted it. I didn't have time or money to fix it so it put it away till now.

Eventually, I checked the compressions and found the middle to be only about 65 psi were the ends were about 90. I used a new gauge and correct procedure. I disassembled the engine and everything looks clean no bad wear marks or anything, using the piston article in this forum as a reference. I checked the clearance measuring the piston 26 mm from the bottom and got 2.891 and checked the cylinder using t-bars at four places (two near the top and two near the middle) and got an average of 2.894 (rounded) with the largest difference in measurement at about .0015. This gives a clearance of about .003. I can't find my sheet that came with the piston's but I think this is about right. I reassembled everything with a factory new head that I got for cheap and still the same compression. The stroke checks out also.

any ideas?

Re: 900 stx compression problem

The compression is too low, I dont know why your having the issue and the clearance is too tight, it should be closer to 4-6.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I probably need to borrow a bore gauge. Do you know how I can get the fold-out that comes with SBT pistons?

Comment

Just see what clearance your at and set it to 4-6 thou if its not
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
        X