1998 Kawasaki 1100 zxi rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Kawasaki 1100 zxi rebuild

Took a 1998 Kawasaki 1100 zxi out of storage for a couple of years, tuned it up and took it on the lake. A couple hours later, the ski looked like it was sinking, found the engine compartment FULL of water. The brass fitting from the exhaust riser had sheered off (crazy). After removing the threads and finding some fittings that would work, we had the ski back up and running. A few hours later, the ski wanted to die when coming back to shore. Found piston #1 spark plug was loose. Nothing would get the ski started again. Got it home, removed the head cover to find that the rod for piston 1 broke shattering the cylinder and the top of the crank case.

I am having fun rebuilding the engine myself, as it is my first time doing something like this, but this is right up my alley. I have a couple of questions:

1) I read that the loose spark plug likely caused the detonation of piston 1 by letting in air. Is this because the extra air caused additional compression which (self) ignited the fuel/air mixture early? Also, why do you think the top of piston 1 looked ok but #2 and #3 looked seriously charred and starting to dome. Oh, the heads were milled by someone before me.

2) I have read about taking out the oil pump for "insurance" against failure, how good of an idea is this. The mixture is then 40:1? Do you cap off the oil lines at the carb somehow?

3) There is pitting in the head cover, but not on the domes. I assume this happened when metal was flying all over the place after detonation (you should see the reed valve in cylinder 1!!) The pitting is between the domes and the gasket. Will this be a problem even if I clean up the sharp edges?

4) What parts of the engine should I oil up prior to trying to start the engine for the first time? The crank shaft bearings? The cylinder walls? The pistons?

Thanks!
    Dan

Re: 1998 Kawasaki 1100 zxi rebuild

1) it most likely detonated because of the raise in compression from the milled head. a way around that is to up the octane of the gas you use.

2) using the block off plate and running premix is infinitely safer than using a device that can fail. the ratio is 50:1

3) anything with pitting needs to be replaced or machined oversized.

4) pre oil everything that moves. you dont need alot but you need enough

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

1). The heads have been milled for 10 years and I have always used 91 octane (premium) as I am very aware of spontaneous combustion. I believe the loose spark plug allowing air resulted in detonation. The pistons were also a little wet which may have been during the cooling fitting break and flooding of the engine compartment.
      2). 50:1 After the break in period, correct :)
      3). The SBT techs said the heads were ok if the domes are not pitted.
      4). think I know what to do here now. Thanks.
      Last edited by dlofgreen; 08-08-2012, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Got my engine put back together after a month of waiting for parts. Rebuilt crank shaft, new cylinder block bored +0.5mm, new top half of the crank case and rebuilt carbs (CDCV carbs).

Compression tested the cylinders and got 170psi for each. (The heads are milled)

Sprayed a little starter fluid in the carbs and primed the line with pre-mixed fuel at 32:1.

The engine turned over immediately and started. I had trouble getting it to stay idling as it wanted to surge from 2k to 3.5k. Adjusting the idle help some and so after a bit, I checked compression again, this time they all came in at 160psi.

Started it up again a couple of days later and it idled better, stayed at 2k and surged every once in a while to like 2.4k or so.

The one question I have is when I removed the plugs to do the second compression test, I looked down and it looked like the top of the pistons were a little dirty. Not significant, but oily with some particles in the oil (Hard to see in there honestly). Question: after break in, should I take the heads off , wipe things down and replace the head with a new gasket?

Thanks

Comment

Just for fun, I posted my rebuild videos on YouTube

Kawasaki 1100 zxi Engine Rebuild Part 1 - YouTube

Comment

Working...
          X