1998 1100 zxi break in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 1100 zxi break in

I rebuilt my engine after rod #1 failure. New crankcase, cylinders, pistons, the works. I also rebuilt the Keihin triple CDCV carbs. Took it out on the lake yesterday

- I had trouble with idle even before the lake. It was a little rough (seemed like a small misfire)
    - 40 min up to 20% throttle went well, then rest for 45 min (32:1 mix)
    - 40 min up to 50% throttle went well, then rest for 45 min (32:1 mix)
    - Pulled the plugs. Cylinder 2 was hot and seemed to be running lean, cylinder 3 was great and cylinder 1 was boarderline
    - Installed new plugs and filled tank again with 40:1
    - 40 min up to 90% throttle went well. Seemed like WOT had a lot more to give, but I did not take it there of course. Take off was fast and responsive.
    - Ski started idling higher (2500 rpm) So I dialed it back to ~1800 as I had to increase it at the beginning of break in.

Question: I know all about the woes of CV carbs, but what can I do? Seems to me that it can be running lean several ways. At idle the fuel escapes through the pilot outlet & bypass outlet and almost no fuel from the needle jet. The opposite is true with the throttle open.

Should I idle it on the trailer, pull the plug and see if it is running lean at idle? Can I adjust the synchronization of the throttle valves? I noticed when I rebuilt the carbs that the throttle valves were NOT synchronized. Should I close the throttle valve on #2 a bit more? Will that result in less air and more fuel at idle?

How do I check for lean condition at WOT? If there is a problem there, it seems like the only solution is to adjust the spring.

Please don't just say buy the CDKII carbs, I want a little dialog here.

Thanks

Re: 1998 1100 zxi break in

Try to sync them first to even out the idle, they are hard carbs to get running correctly if the slides and tracks are scratched up, they suck air between the slide and track when worn this makes the engine run lean.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thank you for the response. The general concensus is that there must be a small vacuum leak somewhere. When I rebuilt the engine I used silicone sealant on all metal surfaces except the one directly below the carbs. I did this in case I needed to take them back off, so perhaps there is a small leak there.

I did synch the carbs before I re-installed them, but from a physical measurement, not from a tuning point of view. They were actually unsynched and I wondered if this was done at the factory or after the fact. I wasn't sure if slight adjustments to the throttle valves would smooth out the idle and eliminate a lean condition during idle.

I am going to check for vacuum leaks, seal the last gasket at the carburetor and then adjust the throttle valves in that order.

Thanks

Comment

2 different weekends of break in, up to 6500 rpm the second day and things went really well. The idle is running steady around 1300 rpm. On another thread I mention my opinion regarding the tuning of the CDCV carbs to make them run richer when in a lean condition. I made the adjustment and took the ski out for a 3rd weekend. Everything went great and at WOT (~7500 rpm) the ski was responsive and fast (~60 mph). I also found no vacuum leaks but did seal the bottom of the carb with a thin layer of silicone (1211).

Check the other thread for more details regarding the tuning of the CDCV carbs

http://www.shopsbt.com/forum/kawasak...justments.html

Comment

Working...
        X